How Important Is The ACT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: How Important Is The ACT?
By Guoster (Guoster) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 02:01 pm: Edit

I've heard and known about it for quite a while now (the ACT). But now that it's coming close to my junior year AKA Year of Testing death. I'd like to know the importance of this test. To save time (if I really don't have to take it). I'm gonna take SAT II WRiting, Math, and Bio. Have taken AP Bio: 4. And of course SAT I (new one). Someone please help. Thanks

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

its equivilant to the SAT for many many different universities. There is no reason not to take it (unless financial) because some people do better on it than the SAT and it looks exactly the same. I would strongly recommend taking it unless you are only looking at schools that are SAT crazy (UC's)

By Jefiner41 (Jefiner41) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Most colleges accept either the SAT or the ACT. It's just another standard test to take.

From what I heard in the past, a person will usually do better on the SAT if their strong point is English. For instance, if you're good in vocabulary and you're a fast reader, the SAT is usually for you. The ACT is better in this situation if you're good at science and math. In my opinion, I would go ahead and take both. You have two options that way, and one might be better than the other one.

Personally, I like the ACT better, but the SAT is the more popular of the two. :)

By Hopkinslax (Hopkinslax) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 02:15 pm: Edit

I agree- take both...
I took the SATs and did mediocre(1200) and then having to take the 3 SAT IIs messed me up because although I did 700 on Bio, I did 540 on Math IIc
When I took the ACTs I got a 31- a decent score

By Il_Neige (Il_Neige) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 01:18 am: Edit

I had pretty much the same thing as Hopkinslax. I got a 1290 on the SAT, but a 32 ACT. It definitely made a huge difference for my admissions stuff, so I'd definitely say to take them both, or you'll never know if one might favor you more.

By Riflesforwatie (Riflesforwatie) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 01:35 am: Edit

i haven't taken the SAT yet... im a junior next year, so i think i'll take the old one in the fall. took the ACT in june and got a 33 composite.

By Guoster (Guoster) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

Ok thanks everyone! And Riflesforwatie, I'm gonna be a junior too and I recommend that u take the NEW SAT instead of the old one. I read somewhere that most colleges will now be looking more for that score than the old one.

By Riflesforwatie (Riflesforwatie) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 07:47 pm: Edit

Yeah, I heard that... but I want to take it at least once without the essay cause I heard some schools would take your highest grade on SAT "verbal" and "math" regardless of the two different tests. :P

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page