AP self study

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: AP self study
By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

I am going to do AP euro self study this year. To anyone else who has done self study, where did you get textbooks?

By Geoguy (Geoguy) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 02:13 am: Edit

Are you taking a general world history course at school, or no? In addition to my class, I just used Cliffs AP at first, then rushed through a book called Modern European History, which was a lot better. I also used REA, but hardly. I bought a lot of books I hardly used. But I highly recommend Modern European History. Crammed within two weeks of the test and got a 3. I would've definitely gotten a 4 or higher if I had studied that book over a longer period of time. It's available on Amazon.

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 02:22 am: Edit

I took AP world history two years ago. Thanks!

By Kyip (Kyip) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 03:01 am: Edit

Geoguy, what's the ISBN number (or at least the author)?

Anyone want to recommend books for Human Geo (Is Barron's the only one?!?) and World History also? For those who haven't taken the AP version of those classes. (School doesn't offer Human Geo, WH is only regular)

By Number9 (Number9) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 03:11 am: Edit

I was told a while ago that "A History of the Modern World" by Collins (?) is the best book for AP Euro.

By Obilisk18 (Obilisk18) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 09:51 am: Edit

Kyip. I self-studied AP World History in about a week. And I feel as if I got a 5/4 (5 being more likely). Here's what I did. I bought AP World History by Barrons about two months before the test. Got extremely lazy and ignored it until a week before the test when I finally realized I was in a real trouble unless I studied. Over the next 5 days or so I read through it twice and took a practice test. I was feeling very confident afterwards since I'd managed to get 66 of the 70 questions right on the practice test. But, just to be sure I hadn't just learned Barron's version of things I went to Borders and and took a Princeton Review Practice test. I was very surprised by the results, the Princeton review test was much harder and required more interpretive analysis (making it closer to the actual AP World Test IMO)and I wound up with about 52 out 70 right. So I read through the Princeton review book, took another practice test and got about 59 right. To me, the Barrons book is more like a text book, I'd suggest learning the material from there if you aren't going to get a textbook (the info is much more depth). I see the Princeton Review book as the better book of the two, but likely not sufficient in itself to get a 5 on the test since it's more like a review book that interprets history and connects things. Hope that helped. Sorry for the length. Oh, and don't wait til a week before the test, studying 3 hours a day is not fun.

By Jshifton (Jshifton) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 08:08 pm: Edit

Self study psychology. I bought Barrons, read about half of it, and got a 4 on the test. If you can memorize useless facts quickly, you're set.

By Buttcrack (Buttcrack) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

World History, Comp Science (not sure if this one is possible but i will try my best), Environmental Science, Psychology, Physics

Im done with Psychology today. Im asking about the java stuff right now for Comp Science.

I finish so quickly. Kinda makes me think about all that time consuming stuff we do in class.

By Zach447 (Zach447) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 08:44 pm: Edit

I didn't like the textbook my school used for AP European History. I think it was called "The Western Experience" by Chambers.

A book I would highly recommend you begin using in March and April is "Modern European History" by Viault.

My teacher had everyone in the class buy these early in the year. At first it looked to me like a book with too much "extra" information, so I really neglected reading it. However, I began using it when I started cramming for the AP test with the Princeton Review crambook and really realized how helpful and thorough a book it is. It gives you the right amount of information and what you really need to connect everything.

I got a 4 on my exam, but I'm pretty confident that I would have been able to get a 5 had I used this book more...

By Zarguy (Zarguy) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 10:25 pm: Edit

I self studied for comparative government. I used Comparative Politics Today by Almond. I got a 5 btw. I would also suggest reading The Economist magazine. Its very helpful, especially for dropping names during the test, so you sound like you know about current international politics. But if you don't get governments and policies and stuff like that, no amount of reading will help you. The Economist just polishes your answers. However, I'm not sure if this post will apply after they reformat the test in for 2005-2006 with new countries.

By Babynomoretime (Babynomoretime) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

Anybody ever self studied AP Physics? I got the best grade in my Physics class last year 90.3%, but I don't have enough period to take AP this year. I'm going to take AP Bio and AP Chem, because my major is going to be Biochem. I intend to buy Barron for self studied AP Physics, but wonder if it's enough to prepare for the AP???

By Feuler (Feuler) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Zach447 is spot on about Viault. I stopped reading the class textbook and used that book almost exclusively for European History (though I did also learn from in-class lectures), and got a solid 5 on the test.

By Chidimma (Chidimma) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 09:29 pm: Edit

I took euro as a sophomore. our textbook was good (our teacher was better). our textbook was called Western Civilization- A history of European Society (since 1300) by Steven Hause and William Maltby

By Sagar_Indurkhya (Sagar_Indurkhya) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 10:06 am: Edit

Hey. I haven't actually taken AP Comp Sci, but from looking at the course syllabus, I know I will ace it. But I have been doing programming for 6 years now. I think the best way to self study java is to go to your bookstore, get a book on java(not test prep) and just work the examples, learn the language, and CREATE YOUR OWN PROGRAMS! Thinking in Java, which is free, is also a very good book.

By Kyip (Kyip) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 01:59 pm: Edit

Are the history essay questions hard to get a good score on? I borrowed the Barron's history book from the library, and just turning to that page makes me go, "Holy s---, maybe I can get a 3 if I'm lucky." The m/c questions I have no problem with...I'm one of the freaks of history who's been getting nearly straight A+'s since 4th grade. But...the essays terrify me. Those documents in the Barron's book are all long, and you get 40 minutes to write what seems like a 3 page essay (judging from the sample that Barron's gave). Then the other two questions, I haven't even heard of some of the things there...

By Jaredthegreat (Jaredthegreat) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 09:28 pm: Edit

"Anyone want to recommend books for Human Geo (Is Barron's the only one?!?)"

As far as I know, Barron's is the only AP study book for AP Human Geo. In my human geography class we used a book called _The_Human_Mosaic_.

I got a four on the exam, despite totally blowing at least one essay...

By Jaredthegreat (Jaredthegreat) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 09:32 pm: Edit

By the way, I'm also thinking of doing self-study for macroeconomics (since my school only offers micro) and comparative government (since my school only offers US). Maybe even art history or psych... I'm already going to take AP stats, US government, microeconomics, and chemistry.

Any advice on this?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page