How to improve my SAT scores in three months time

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: How to improve my SAT scores in three months time
By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 02:00 am: Edit

Hey everyone,
I am new here and need some suggestions regarding the SATs. I took the SAT I in June and scored a measly 1280 (640M, 640V). I have already used the 10 real SATs. But those tests seemed flawed. The tests themselves were way too easy, I scored about 1420-1500 on those and curves or raw scores were too generous than the real test. I am retaking the test in November. I would like to hear some suggestions on improving my scores and books to use which contain realistic practice tests. I also need to improve on the analogies and reading comprehension. What can I do to improve my weaknesses?
I will be very grateful if you can give me some sound advice and tips.

PS - If someone has tests from January or May 2004, please email it to me at nycplaya01@hotmail.com

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 02:49 am: Edit

bump

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 03:43 am: Edit

10 reals arent flawed in my opinion because they were REAL tests used on REAL test dates, maybe you just had a bad day or something in june? If you are scoring between 1420 and 1500 i would just say try it again and see what happens.

By Boomer01 (Boomer01) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 03:11 am: Edit

bumpity bump!!
give me suggestions for other books

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 03:33 am: Edit

I used princeton review for test taking tips and 10 real for practice tests. The PR ones didn't seem right after taking some from 10 real. Study vocab and stuff for verbal, that's all I can say. That's weird that it's such a big difference between your practice tests and the actual thing...

By Sherman1 (Sherman1) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 11:49 am: Edit

theres a lot more stress on the real thing...

By Ejpowers87 (Ejpowers87) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 12:24 pm: Edit

I used the Spark Notes guide, and that seemed to help. The tests were about the same difficulty as the real, but it also included a whole section of review of everything you need to know.

Also, make sure you always take practice tests under test conditions. Don't do one section, take an hour break, do another, and finish up tomorrow. Make sure you do them under real test conditions.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page