Help me to study verbal over the summer!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Help me to study verbal over the summer!!
By Krbxtigerz (Krbxtigerz) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

I've taken the SATs in May and got 1350 (first try)
i've scored 570 on verbal......damn.....
it's summer now and i really do not know how to prepare for verbal...i know good amount of words and i also did all the 10 reals.....
currently i'm just reading TIME magazine and NYTIMES a lot.....i heard it would improve my CR section... what should I do besides reading these?? should I do practice tests from other books ?? like 1 section a day or something???
help me~~ i need to get over 600 at least!!! thanks

By Xgamerx13 (Xgamerx13) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

New York Times is good reading material. Substitute The Economist (British, so it is formal and proper) for Time, well worth it.Economist may be beyond you, especially if you lack vocabulary. They also have a website. But other than that I do not have any advice as I have neither taken nor started studying for CR.

By Bigdreamscj (Bigdreamscj) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 06:57 pm: Edit

Definitely learn vocab words. The first time I took the SAT1, I figured I'd cram vocab the night before, learned about 250 SAT-ish words, and got above a 700--a much better score vs friends who simply read a lot. Although reading magazines and books are important for CR, memorizing common words is the best way to hike up a verbal score.

By Krbxtigerz (Krbxtigerz) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 10:22 am: Edit

bump

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 01:12 pm: Edit

Practice is the best way to up CR. The questions are very similar from test to test. Use the 10 Real SAT's book to practice those with.

By Davidn08 (Davidn08) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

the gruber book claims that 70-80% of all words that have been on all past tests is in their list of 3500 words (presumably, it's similar for barrons). so i'm guessing that if you learn most of those, you'll know at least half the words on the exam just from that list (you'll know many others from your initial vocabulary, reading, and figuring them out from roots etc)

do as many practice questions as you can... wherever they're available: review books, old exams, "workbooks" (barrons, PR, kaplan, sparknotes) etc...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page