Opinions on Comp Sci AB

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Opinions on Comp Sci AB
By Phantom (Phantom) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 03:53 pm: Edit

I had elected to take AP Comp Sci AB next year (senior year) after having taken AP Comp Sci A this year, which I thought was ridiculously easy. However, after reading the "Hardest AP" thread, I have become doubtful.

Could anyone else who has taken the exam offer their opinion on the matter? Is this another "either you get it or you don't class"? Heavy workload? What makes it so hard?

Comp Sci A was my first exposure to computer programming and I doubt I will major in computer science or anything. I had wanted to take AB, however, so that I could gain a bigger understanding of Java. I really didn't feel like I had learned anything overly significant in Comp Sci A.

By Wintersoul (Wintersoul) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

Comp Sci A is mostly about learning the programming language and basic logic. AB starts to get into more theoretical and complex topics. If you enjoy math and logic and you think A was easy, you should have no problem with AB.

It probably is one of those classes where you either get it or don't, but with a good teacher and a thorough understanding of the A topics, it shouldn't be that difficult.

By Joshjmgs (Joshjmgs) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 11:26 am: Edit

So, wintersoul, do you reccomend simply starting with AP Comp Sci AB?

By Davidn08 (Davidn08) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

read a review book for it before starting the class.

By Wintersoul (Wintersoul) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 04:07 pm: Edit

The stuff you need for AB can only be learned once you have a good grasp of all the A topics. Which one you take really depends on your prior knowledge and the set up of the class at your school. You will need to know all of the A topics for the AB exam, and I really don't suggest trying to learn both at once unless you are already very familiar with another similar language, such as C++.

I only studied Java for a year before taking the AB test, but I had already studied C++ for 2 years and taken the A exam in it. Without previous programming experience, I would have been completely lost.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page