Question about SAT II Writing Essay

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Question about SAT II Writing Essay
By Geodude666 (Geodude666) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 07:37 pm: Edit

Ok, concerning the essay that you have to write on the SAT II writing, does it have to be true, or can you lie about your experiences? I mean, i usually write about my own experiences in relation to the topic, but if i don't really have any experience in that topic, can i make someting up? I know colleges read this essay, so will they hold it against me if they new that what i wrote was false?

By Calidan (Calidan) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 07:41 pm: Edit

Of course you can make it up- who's going to verify the story you put forth in it? And also, I don't think it's true that colleges read these essays, unless I am mistaken.

By Geodude666 (Geodude666) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

well, i know that when you sbmit your scores, a copy of the essay is sent. But if they won't verify it, then i'll be well on my way to a 800; i'm an awesome storyteller, lol

By Daria1000 (Daria1000) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 10:52 pm: Edit

I've never heard that they send the essays to the colleges. you can definately make stuff up, they don't really care what you say as along as you say it in an organized manner.

By Crybaby (Crybaby) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 11:37 pm: Edit

sorry if i sound like a desperate overachiever but there are so many ppl with perfect scores...should i retake to raise my 780 on writing??

By Zantedeschia (Zantedeschia) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 11:26 am: Edit

No! 780 is great! And for writing that's what, 95% at least?

By Conker (Conker) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 02:24 pm: Edit

They do send your essays to the universities.

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 02:54 pm: Edit

Crybaby, you are a crybaby. 780 is 20 points within perfection, which does not signify any greater knowledge. Stop whining about extremely good scores, and most of all, stop being obsessed with this stuff. Most people would kill for a 780 on something. I got 770 on Math IC, the best SAT II that I had. I was totally happy about it. So, FOR THE NAME OF GOD, PLEASE STOP!!!!!!!!

By Sherman1 (Sherman1) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 03:01 pm: Edit

lol, i think that if you retook a 780, the colleges that you apply to will think there is something wrong with you

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 03:10 pm: Edit

crybaby - it depends on which schools you're applying to. True, 780 is 20 points away from perfection, but 800 was 98th percentile last test date i think. So if you're applying to the very top of the top, you may be competing with those 2% with perfect scores....so...
but don't get me wrong! 780 is great! What I mean is the way colleges are so selective these days, if you can afford to spend enough time studying to improve further on your score(say, if you've finished all your other SATs), you don't have anything to lose.

Geodude - haha, sure, make it up, but it's true some colleges / accelerated programs at colleges(for example, Brown's PLME admissions) request a copy of what you wrote. Their objective is most likely to see how you write under pressure, but just use your common sense; colleges will use anything possible to try and get an idea of what type of person you are.

By Crybaby (Crybaby) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

thanks everyone (including benzinspeicher...!
I didn't think i needed to retake it but one of my friends said i should so just wanted to get some more povs on it. I agree with Yz16 completely though and that's exactly why i said that a lot of ppl have perfect scores and are competing for top schools!

By Bigdreamscj (Bigdreamscj) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

I "overemotionalized" a personal experience and did pretty well on the essay--so I'd say no...lying or stretching the truth won't be caught by cB graders, heh.

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 10:05 pm: Edit

Sorry for the angry tone. But you really shouldn't worry. I'm sure you'll get into a great school (most people who complain of 780s always do). Good luck, friend!

By Crybaby (Crybaby) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 10:42 pm: Edit

hahah...it's ok!! and thanks!

By Stephymarie (Stephymarie) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

hmm... I have a stupid question... I got an 800 on the test but only 9/12 on the essay, will colleges care? Grading of essays is so arbitrary.

By Crybaby (Crybaby) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 12:02 am: Edit

stephymarie: sorry i don't know the answer to your question but what was your percentile?

By Stephymarie (Stephymarie) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 10:33 am: Edit

98th, all 800's were.

By Sherman1 (Sherman1) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 10:59 am: Edit

wow, i bet that means that you got every single MC question right

By Stephymarie (Stephymarie) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 01:57 pm: Edit

I think I got 1 wrong on the MC. I definitely wrote a better essay than my grade shows, though, which is why it bothers me. But not too much, I don't really care.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page