French SAT II MASTERS

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: French SAT II MASTERS
By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

Hey guy,

Those of you who got 700+ on French.

What is your background in french? How did you study? And if your not francophone, how did your teacher make french class interesting?

By Calidan (Calidan) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit

I got an 800 in June.
I just finished French IV, and I am not francophone. I hadn't ever taken it in kindergarten or some special program for young children either. I actually didn't study practically at all for the test; I skimmed through the Princeton Review's French SAT II Reading book, and simply read over all of the vocab (no memorization). I did this 2 nights before the test. My teacher makes (or rather made) my French class interesting by bringing in many news articles in French and also just random currnet events in France. She applied a lot of the material we learned to real life, so that made it much easier to remember. That's all I can think of right now, so if you have any further or more specific questions, please ask!

By Danoeire (Danoeire) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 07:56 pm: Edit

so, um, ok then.

By Conker (Conker) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 12:00 am: Edit

Did you take Listening or non-Listening, Calidan?

By Calidan (Calidan) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

I took non-listening (reading).

By Missj (Missj) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 03:17 pm: Edit

Hope you don't mind if I add another SATIIfrench related question to your post, davidrune.

Which SAT II french prep book gives you very good, thorough preparation? Princeton, Barron's, or what? Thanks :)

By Calidan (Calidan) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 03:46 pm: Edit

If you have a strong background in French (i.e. you have taken 4 or more years), then you should be fine. All you really need to do is review the subjunctive (triggers, etc.), the different tenses and conjugations, and some vocab. Princeton Review (Cracking the SAT II French Reading) has a good vocab list, as well as good grammar review. That is all I used (and not even very much of it- I only started the book 2 nights before the test), and i got an 800. Good luck!

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 09:21 pm: Edit

bump

By Esperanza (Esperanza) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 12:55 am: Edit

Did you take Listening or non-Listening, Calidan?

what do you mean? there's an option?

By Esperanza (Esperanza) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 12:52 pm: Edit

bump

By Number9 (Number9) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Yes. I believe only in November listening is available.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page