Math: 700 to 750+?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Math: 700 to 750+?
By Tallyrand (Tallyrand) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 01:38 pm: Edit

Okay, it seems as if everyone and their uncle got 750+ on the math portion of the SAT I. Could you all give me a few tips on increasing my math score? Thank you!

By Appliedmath (Appliedmath) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 02:38 pm: Edit

don't make stupid mistakes, if you can score above 700 on math that means your inherently talented at it, so do this: MAKE SURE YOU DONT CIRCLE THE WRONG ANSWERS

By Tallyrand (Tallyrand) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 02:58 pm: Edit

Grr. The thing is. I DO THAT. It's quite annoying that possibly careless errors separated me from getting the 750 or above that I want...

The fact that I didn't really study too much for math, compared to verbal(even though I'm better at verbal) obviously had something to do with my lower math score as well.

By Chidimma (Chidimma) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

You can increase your math score by practicing math problems similar to the ones on the actual test. It worked for me! On the June test, I only got 4 wrong. (I got a 710 :( )

By Justperfect (Justperfect) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

and always make sure you circle the key words(odd, even, etc)this helps a lot. it seems like its gonna take away time but it will give you more pts.

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 03:40 am: Edit

i got a 700 on march and a 800 in june. I recommend using 10 reals the week of the test and just do like problem #24 and 25 on all the sections.. (these are the ones i was always messed up) These problems ALWAYS have a trick to them and lead you to wrong answers, so you realize if it seems too easy, you are probably doing it wrong.

By Chidimma (Chidimma) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

use what andrew said. it's true

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 04:34 pm: Edit

yea, i have the same problem as tallyrand, i had 710 on the march test, i couldve had 1510+ if i had a 800 on math (which I expected)...

Which books for math do you recommend?

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 05:11 pm: Edit

Yeah Shaka! I had a 690 on the March test and i thought i had an 800 too! i missed 5. i dont understand! i just always miss the last 2 mult choice on the 25 question part and i always miss 3 QC's. not cool, help anyone?

By Mr_Sanguine (Mr_Sanguine) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 05:39 pm: Edit

What's the curve approximately for math?

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

It's terrible, that's what it is. It's like really bad. I mean, it goes:

800, 430, 340, 200. That's all. Well......not THAT bad. But it sure seems that way to those of us who want 800 and think we get 800 but then we miss 4-5 and get 690-710. Actually usually it goes like this.

800,780,750,720,700, so on......I think.

By Studyguy346 (Studyguy346) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

the march SAT was a bit more generous.. it was like 800,800,780,760...

By Feuler (Feuler) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

The number one most important thing on SAT I math is to be careful. If you're scoring around 700, the problem is probably not that you can't do the math, but that you are making mistakes.

Never rush reading the questions. People want to work as quickly as possible, but really, reading the question carefully will cost you at most a couple seconds. Read EVERY SINGLE WORD in the question, and, as someone above wisely said, underline or circle any key words, like "positive" "nonnegative" "odd" etc. I find that 99% of my careless errors could have been fixed by catching a word or two in the questions I glossed over.

In general, just be aware of everything you are doing. Never go on autopilot. Stay logical, stay focused, and you will find yourself working very quickly and very efficiently. I sometimes think of the questions as a series of targets at a shooting range (I'm not a gun nut; it's just an analogy). You're much better off taking the time to line up every shot perfectly than whipping out an AK-47 and going nuts.

By Tallyrand (Tallyrand) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 12:23 pm: Edit

Thanks for the help, you guys. The math curve is so frustrating! Andrew's suggestion of focusing on the most difficult problems at the end of each math section sounds particularly helpful, as does the circling key words tip.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page