AP Pass Rates!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: AP Pass Rates!
By Ilovefish (Ilovefish) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 12:38 am: Edit

what are your AP pass rates in a particular class or your school in general?? How do some schools end up with 95-100% pass rates? Is it just the students or the teachers. I know of so many people that have not so great AP teachers but cram for it themselves and end up with a 5.

By Wrathofgod64 (Wrathofgod64) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 12:46 am: Edit

in my school in calc bc, the average grade in the class is 93% and the usually 15 people take the class. out of that, 12-13 people get 5s and 2-3 people get 4s. Usually the students are really really good at math, but our teacher is excellent!

By Rainsparkle (Rainsparkle) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 08:26 am: Edit

my calc BC is a 100% pass in the last decade or so.. its the teacher... he has had one failing grade in his entire career... infact i would venture to say that there is a 90-95% 5 rate.

he's very selective about his students also

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 01:16 pm: Edit

exactly like our BC calc class. 100% 5's, she only lets people in if she thinks they can get a 5. physics C also has 100% 5's, but that's cause our teacher is amazing... 8 kids made it as US Physics Olympiad Semifinalists (tying TJ for the most).

By Frs (Frs) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 02:03 pm: Edit

Our AP Euro teacher, god bless him, doesn't teach to the test nearly as much as he should. I swear, he's the nicest man I've ever met; for almost any assignment if you don't turn it in on time, he'll let you turn it in by the end of the marking period and get full credit. The tests are written by the publishers of the book and are therefore insanely hard (nobody ever got a 100), but he puts a ginourmous curve on them (usually 50-60% is an A). People don't read the book and still get A's and B's on the tests. He spends half the class telling us how great we are, and how we're "college level students." He's only been teaching AP Euro for about 3 years, so he only recently started giving practice exams and making us write essays. He's really nice, but he just can't teach to the test; out of 50+ students last year, 16 got 3's and 2 got 4's, no 5's. This year there were 72 students (I know!) and god I must say there are some really really stupid people in that class. I got a 4, but then again I didn't review at all for the test.

By Dr_Slc (Dr_Slc) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 03:59 pm: Edit

Are AP scores being sent out by mail yet?

By Mattman (Mattman) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 04:56 pm: Edit

A majority of my school's classes had pass rates over 50%. Personally, I've gone 8-0.

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 06:44 pm: Edit

AB: maybe 43% if we're lucky. but only 7 out of 45 took the exam
Bio: bout 50%. again, only 6 out of 40+ took the exam
Chem: no one took
US Hist: near 100% for those that took. block schedule so not everyone takes

By Lifeisgood (Lifeisgood) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 07:31 pm: Edit

Same with my AP Bio teacher... 90+% fives.

Weird since he only gets through about 1/2-2/3 of the book, and most kids don't do the rest on their own, but they sure do know that 1/2-2/3 reallly well.

By Ilovefish (Ilovefish) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 11:44 pm: Edit

i just wanted to know because i don't know about the AP teachers i'll be having next year so i guess i'll just be self-studying the whole book myself. but i guess it is somewhat do-able to study by yourself & still get a 5? heh thanks

anyone else?

By Paulhomework (Paulhomework) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

it's not fair if AP teachers can selectively prohibit some students from taking a test if they don't think they'll get a 5. that's BS IMO unless they're in a private school and they're ordered by the school to do so in order to artificially increase the average ap grade.

how can you deny a potential 4 from taking an AP? hell most selective colleges accept a 4 for grade/credit!

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 01:00 am: Edit

I agree with Paul there. Go Paul!

By Conker (Conker) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 01:18 am: Edit

Just about anyone can take any AP they want at our school, yet we still manage to post amazing pass rates (80-90% for most classes). It's even more amazing when you consider that the teachers aren't even good at all.

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 12:15 pm: Edit

by "pass rates" do you mean:
a) passing the class in your school
or
b) getting a certain grade or above (like 3+) on the AP test???

sry for the stupid question

By Conker (Conker) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

We're talking about B.

By Kwtortoise (Kwtortoise) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 02:38 pm: Edit

I think they mean % that pass the AP test (3 of above).

At my school, most of the APs are 80-90% of above passed. I actually don't like the AP system at my school, because the teachers teach to the test way too much. I don't feel I learned as much as I could of. All we did was notes, reading, and tests. Not even much homework. Anyone can take an AP at my school, but we don't offer too many. The classes at my school were great test-prep, but not too good on overall education. I didn't do any outside studying besides what was assigned. (review sessions and tons of practice tests)

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

For us it's considered 3 and up because if we get a 3 or higher, then we get most of our money back.

By K0w (K0w) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 09:30 pm: Edit

ap french - 0% for the past 10 years. teacher's a crackhead. rofl.

ap art - 100%

ap music - 90%

etc.etc. thats all i can think at the top of my head

By Emika (Emika) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 12:35 am: Edit

US Gov - 0% last year, highest score was a 2.. Need to wait and see how the kids did this year (it's only the 2nd year that my school offers US Gov)

The rest of the AP's had only like one or two kids taking the test.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page