SAT I October Study Plan

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: SAT I October Study Plan
By Chrisbo (Chrisbo) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

All right, guys. I'm really hoping to up my score for my third and final SAT I this October. My previous score was 1230; mediocre, but not as high as I had hoped. I'm devising a study plan for the summer, as well as for September. Here's what I have planned:

- Take five practice tests a week from various books, including older issues of SAT prep material.
- Review vocabulary (for my previous SAT I, I learned about 600 new vocabulary terms; I'm not sure how many more I should learn, so I'm just going to review the old ones).
- Read literature and other books as prep for the critical reading section (which is my worst verbal section).

I'm really striving for a 1500 or higher, but anything above 1350 will suffice for my college choices. I am also taking the SAT II: Writing test in November. I'm not really obliged to take this test, but I love to write and use the English language, so I figured why not.

How does my study plan sound? Any tips from the high scorers--especially the ones who jumped from a low score to a really high score?

Thanks guys--I'm really hoping for that elusive 1600! :)

Chris

By Sherman1 (Sherman1) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

if youre willing to take five practice tests a week and youre really bad at critical reading, you should just get every critical reading passage from the last 10 years of SATs and study them. they use critical reading passages 4 times each before theyre discontinued.

By Silverstar (Silverstar) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 02:23 am: Edit

"they use critical reading passages 4 times each before theyre discontinued."

is this true? It it is, they're probably passages from unreleased tests anyway, so studying CR's from the last ten years won't help in that regard, will it?

By Davidn08 (Davidn08) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit

how are you getting enough tests to take 5 per week?

do more vocab.

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 11:26 pm: Edit

that means you have about 60 practice tests?? kinda overkill in my opinion. I would suggest taking ONE test a week and see your score improve while working the rest of the week on your weaknesses...

By Studyguy346 (Studyguy346) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 09:45 pm: Edit

yeah.. what is ur breakdown? math and verbal?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page