Kaplan SAT course

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Kaplan SAT course
By Nike1800 (Nike1800) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Can anyone vouch for this course?

If so, please state pre-course SAT score, and post-SAT, and if possible, quality as compared to Princeton Review.

Thanks

By Nike1800 (Nike1800) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 11:02 pm: Edit

bump

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

My S took Princeton Class after just missing making national merit on his PSAT. His SAT score went way down got a 1300, then retook 1340. Took ACT with no studying no prep got 32. My D went to some of Kaplan course and some of their private tutoring- did poorly 1210. She is going to study on her own now. I think it depends on who you get for a tutor or who teaches the class. Others may disagree. Just our experience. We hired a math tutor for my D for 2 hrs before she took the ACT again and her math score went from a 27 to a 31. Coincidence, who knows. Good luck!

By Isabella (Isabella) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 12:25 am: Edit

I would do PR instead. Both their materials and instructors are better IMHO.

By Neolinski (Neolinski) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 01:02 am: Edit

i do really think, it's totally depend on who's your tutor. and perhaps depend on location(where many parents are willing to pay couple hundreds to thousands dollars to get tutors will have better system, and better teacher)
like in my town, there is only kaplan.. -_-

By Elizabeth22 (Elizabeth22) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 08:08 am: Edit

There were 7 kids in my PR class- 3 boys and I from my school, and 3 girls from another school. The problem was that at the preliminary practice test, all the kids from my school were scoring 1200+, while none of the kids from the other school had broken 1000. The class was slowed down significantly, and it seemed like the entire program was catering to kids who were scoring around the 1000 range and trying to reach 1100. There was no honors SAT program near us. The class worked in that it forced us to do practice tests, but none of us (from my school anyway) actually learned anything new. If you're already a somewhat talented test taker, I really suggest you look for a PR honors program.

By Chidimma (Chidimma) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 10:08 pm: Edit

I took a Kaplan class from April to June to prepare for the June test. I got something over a 1200 in December and I got a 1420 in June. Our teacher was really good and I studied my butt off the second time. It depends on how good your teacher is and how much work you're willing to put into studying for your test :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page