APs are overrated.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: APs are overrated.
By Ihatesats (Ihatesats) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 01:30 pm: Edit

It seems that many people nowadays are judging people by the number of APs they take.

In my opinion, this is completely stupid. I hate the AP program, and taking more does not necessarily mean that someone is better than one who takes fewer APs. In fact, some people have said that, depending on the teacher, you may actually learn more in an honors class than an AP class covering the same subject.

Also, the College Board is an organization greedy for money as all Hell. 'Nuff said...

By Rainsparkle (Rainsparkle) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

the AP courses follow a certain standardized goal : the EXAM... now how are colleges going to tell if you got more out of an honors class, because they dont know how each school works, but they can see you rose to a great challenge by going for the AP

and yes. yes they are, but they have a monopoly on it - so who can stop em?

By Neolinski (Neolinski) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 01:16 am: Edit

harvard doesnt trust (with some generalization) AP program. there was couple news about that. harvard takes only 5 and caltech and mit (i believe) doesnt take any AP credits at all and many highly selective colleges take only some AP credits.

however, at the end, it's only an advantage of you to take AP classes instead of honors.

P.S : and very sadly, my public high school have 3 APs only except languages.

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 01:22 am: Edit

I believe MIT doesn't give AP credit only for certain exams, like Calculus AB, Computer Science, Chemistry, and Physics B. Stanford has eliminated AP credit for many exams starting this year.

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 01:24 am: Edit

"and taking more does not necessarily mean that someone is better than one who takes fewer APs"

I agree, because there are some really crappy high schools out there, but taking more AP exams and scoring higher does mean someone knows more college-level material than you do.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 01:45 am: Edit

If AP courses tend to be BS, at least there is a check to it. If you get an A in your class but a 2 or 3 on the exam, it's clear that your A didn't really mean a ton.

However, I'd say it's true more for honors classes. Honors at my high school basically counts for nothing, and very little is taught because there's nothing to aim for. However, ALL our AP classes are very oriented to the AP syllabus, and our pass rates are very, very high (80-85% around average, 98-100% from some teachers). AP at my high school actually means something.

By Mutineer_33 (Mutineer_33) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 12:59 pm: Edit

The AP program is what you make out of it. End of story.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page