Study Help for new Juniors

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Study Help for new Juniors
By Kristennk (Kristennk) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 10:51 am: Edit

Hi! I'm going to be a junior this fall and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for what I should be doing to prepare myself for the PSAT, SAT and ACT tests that I will be taking this upcoming school year. I really don't know where to begin, so any tricks of the trade would be really nice. I'd like to raise my PSAT scores by October. Thanks!

By Sherman1 (Sherman1) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 11:24 am: Edit

make sure that you study for the new math. you should but an SATII math book and learn formulas. the math will by much, much harder. DONT STUDY FOR ANALOGIES

By Kristennk (Kristennk) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

How will the math be harder?

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 01:35 pm: Edit

Math won't necessarily be harder, but the curve is absolutely impossible. There is NO margin for error in any form. No room for any mistakes. Miss 5 raw, its like a 69. Can't be fooling around. I suggest you do what I do. I KNOW I get every single easy and medium level problem correct, so I just practice all the hard Q's out of the 10 Reals and so the actualy test is a light load.

By Alotor (Alotor) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

College Board says the math for the new SAT won't be impossible, but challenging. Strategies are still applicable, though. (

By Kristennk (Kristennk) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 03:48 pm: Edit

That's a really good idea Adidasty!

By Vermicelli (Vermicelli) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 04:30 pm: Edit

The new PSAT has no Algebra II.

By Fireflyscout (Fireflyscout) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

Do a search within this section for postings by Xiggi. He has preparing for the SAT down to a science.

For the old SAT, use the 10 Real SATs book to take practice tests. This technique really works; my daughter's score went up 180 points from the PSAT she took 6 months earlier. If you need additional tests, someone around here may have earlier disclosed tests available.

For the new SAT, use the Real SATs book (there should be a new one coming out this fall, but you can still use the old one), combined with the Real SAT II book for writing.

By Fireflyscout (Fireflyscout) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 04:44 pm: Edit

Also, my daughter checked with the adcoms at several very selective liberal arts colleges about which SAT would be accepted for the class of 06. All responded that they would take the highest section score from either the old SAT or the new SAT for a composite score (with the recommendation that she take both). Please note that public universities may have different policies.

By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 05:10 pm: Edit

Yes,

Please note that the new PSAT will have no algebra II because the collegeboard says that some students may not have covered the topics yet in october.

But if you have alreay taken the Math IC SAT II and have done really well on it, like me, then the new math section would be no problem. Most of it is just related to functions.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page