Strategies for getting that 800 SAT II and more

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Strategies for getting that 800 SAT II and more
By Htown1398 (Htown1398) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 04:43 am: Edit

A couple of questions. I'm prepping for the SAT II Math IIC and Phyisics. Currently, I'm using Barron's for both. Do you think it's worthwhile to go through the entire course review thing they have for a hundered or so pages in the begining or just do all the practice tests? Also, would being a Mensa High IQ Society member help in college admissions? Or No? Oh, and parents say I'm wasting my summer. How much should I be studying for the SAT IIs and SATs, daily, on an average, ideally? I know, homo questions, but, they have to be asked. Oh and honestly, how easy or hard is it to get 800s on SAT IIs? Because the percentiles on the SAT IIs are quite steep.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 05:33 am: Edit

I just wrote this thing on how easy I think the IIC exam is, but I just sound egotistical. So let me break it down.

Me and almost all my friends who I consider at least "competent" got an 800.

One girl I know who is not good at math at all got a 780 or 790.

The lowest score I have ever heard of on IIC is a 750, and that was made by one of my friends who really just sucks at math.

In short, don't worry about it. In retrospect, that sounds egotistical too, but I'm not rewriting this post again.

By Skapoor1 (Skapoor1) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 10:22 am: Edit

I agree that both exams are very easy. In Physics, 93% make 800s, and in Math2C, 91% make 800s. I would recommend prepping no longer than 1 hour for each exam, simply to get familiar w/ the types of questions (22 Real SAT2s). Any more than that is a waste of time.

By Physicskid123 (Physicskid123) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 10:32 am: Edit

Well, it depends on your physics class for the SATII. It covers quite a wide range of material, and a lot of classes don't get to cover it all. So I recommend getting the princeton review book and shuffling through it, learning anything with which you are unfamiliar. Then take the real SAT2 and see how you do.

By Scorp (Scorp) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 11:57 am: Edit

>> In Physics, 93% make 800s, and in Math2C, 91% make 800s. (By: Skapoor1)

That's just wrong information.

10% make 800s in IIC and 7% make 800s in Physics.

By Jrpar (Jrpar) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 12:12 pm: Edit

I wouldn't assume the IIC is so easy. The grading scale is friendly, but the test itself isn't. You should definitely try the practice tests.

By Blee731 (Blee731) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 12:25 pm: Edit

I guess Skapoor meant percentiles, instead of percents for those scores. I'm also planning on taking the Math IIC and probably Chemistry. I might take Physics, but then again that's a lot of testing. I really like Barron's because it covers everything.

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

haha, skapoor made me laugh out loud.
never mind:)i'm sure it was just a silly mistake.

By Number9 (Number9) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 03:29 pm: Edit

>>Do you think it's worthwhile to go through the entire course review thing they have for a hundered or so pages in the begining or just do all the practice tests?

If you are already well learned in the material, I dont see any reason to do the entire course review...

>>Also, would being a Mensa High IQ Society member help in college admissions? Or No?

I'd put it down, but Mensa has gone downhill, and is nowhere near what it used to be. But I'd put it down nonetheless.

>>How much should I be studying for the SAT IIs and SATs, daily, on an average, ideally?

I do a chapter a day out of my books (or a set number of pages.) So time varies.

>>I know, homo questions, but, they have to be asked.

I don't understand how homosexuals can have different questions than heterosexuals regarding these matters...I think you can use a better adjective if you have such a high IQ ;)

>>Oh and honestly, how easy or hard is it to get 800s on SAT IIs?

Depends on the test. An 800 is easier on Math IIC than Literature and so on.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page