ACT Problem

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: ACT Problem
By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 12:35 am: Edit

Ok, I got a 28..but my subscores are rediculous. I got a 30-English, 36-Math, 22-Reading, and 23-Science. For reading and science its not the content that is bothering me (it is actually pretty easy), it is the time constraint. IMO the reading is way too harsh on the time, i rather see tougher problems and more time. Does anyone have any suggestions to speed up on science and reading without losing accuracy? I have tried some practice tests and i had the same problems.

By Nutriamorada (Nutriamorada) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 04:00 am: Edit

agreed!
I got 34, 31, 35... and then a 27 in science, because of the time constraint.
granted, I'm pretty happy with my score (32 composite), but the way-off science score is still irritating.
lame.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 09:32 am: Edit

Practice tests are the way to go. Note that many do raise their science score the second time they take it -- just getting used to what is unfamiliar the first time around. A 28 is not bad. Also, there are some colleges where your actual score would be a 33; e.g., Rose-Hulman and Georgia Tech consider only your math and English score for admission and average those for a total, and they ignore science, reading and composite scores.

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 07:05 pm: Edit

thanks.. i just dont know of any possible to make myself read faster for the reading without losing comprehesnion. I have no problem finishing the SAT reading. I will buy a practice book this week and start timing myself i guess.

By Hopkinslax (Hopkinslax) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Was science really that hard? I got a 31: 32M, 29E, 30R, 34S... I thought that the english was the most difficult part- as reflected above.

By Korey (Korey) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

I got a 33E 26M 21R 27S ... 27 composite. I want to raise all of my scores to where my composite is at least a 34...I know I can. I haven't practiced any for any of the ACT's I've taken... I agree that the Reading and Science sections don't allow much time, but theres nothing we can do about it (unless you want to do that "special testing" thing, but I think you have to have a medical condition for it)

By Chidimma (Chidimma) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 10:43 pm: Edit

I hate the ime constraints for those sections too! That's where I messsed up too (especially reading... gr). But hey, I bought the Princeton Review book for the ACT, and their techniques are soooooo good. It helps ease the time. :) try it.

By Riflesforwatie (Riflesforwatie) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 07:51 pm: Edit

I finished all the sections, but I cut it REALLY close on Science this time. 36R 32E 32M 32S 33C.

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 08:43 pm: Edit

i just bought princeton review.. i dont like their reading strategies though, i dont like the idea of NOT reading the passage. Those of you that scored high on reading.. are you just fast readers? because if i read the thing i dont have time to look up all the answers when im doing the questions.

By Jefiner41 (Jefiner41) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 10:14 pm: Edit

I agree with Andrew1218. I have the exact problem. I'm really good in reading and answering the questions when I have time, but the time they give you on that stupid test is absolutely ridiculous!

By Riflesforwatie (Riflesforwatie) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 10:56 pm: Edit

I guess I just read fast. I was fine timewise on the reading. Science and Math bother me more.

By Chidimma (Chidimma) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

it bothered me to not read the passages, but it's saving time and helping me get correct answers.... I guess it doesn't work for everyone. Now I feel like I made you waste your money! :( sorry

By Jaredthegreat (Jaredthegreat) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 10:14 pm: Edit

Yep...

I got a 33 composite. 34 English (finished with ten or fifteen minutes to spare). 35 math (went through the entire test twice, and still had minutes to spare). Reading 35 (had a few seconds, if that, to spare). And finally science 29. (didn't finish. Had to blind-guess)

I do have one suggestion for those who are having trouble with timing for the math section. The last half of the questions do take significantly longer than the first half (at least in my and all the surrounding testtakers' experience). The first time I took the ACT I was what I had gauged as fifteen minutes ahead of schedule, but I ran out of time, and had to blind-guess (I got a 34).

Personally timing is my only issue with the science, and science is the only place where I have found time to be an issue. I think that the science reasoning section is a very cool, interesting idea, but an extra three or four minutes would make it so much better (that way we could read maybe one or two of the passages).

The last comment I have on ACT timing is actually a positive one. The bubbles are noticeably smaller on the ACT than on the SAT, which means that less of your precious time need be lost to filling in bubbles. When I finished that 75-question english test in under thirty minutes I was absolutely shocked...

By Guitarshredder (Guitarshredder) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 11:38 pm: Edit

Hehe, I got a 35 on Science and like a 32/33 on reading (can't remember). What brought me down was a 27 on math. I can't do math quickly.

By Imapaki102 (Imapaki102) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 01:11 am: Edit

damn...i went through my science section with very little thought....glanced at the graphs and filled in the bubbles...

got a 36 in science.

i'm still kicking myself wondering how in &*^#%)$@()@$^(#$%^$ hell i did that good.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page