Princeton review says no-no on old SAT- why?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Princeton review says no-no on old SAT- why?
By Vtran31 (Vtran31) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

THis seems to be the only reputable source that says you should not take the old SAT. Does anyone know why and if these reasons have validity?

By Hsm (Hsm) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 11:19 pm: Edit

MUCH more weight is being given to new sat is what I speculate- note that the college board has already announced plans to eventually do away with SAT 2 writing- that means NEW SAT is very important for '06 and beyond

Also: the point is if you dont have time to prep for old one- concentrate on NEW SAT- especially since the upcoming PSAT will be almost exactly like the new sat. Prepping for new kills 2 birds with one stone: PSAT 2004 and SAT 2005

By Isabella (Isabella) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 12:31 am: Edit

Sounds like a good answer to me! Makes sense.

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 03:00 am: Edit

Princeton Review needs the dinero. Period. End of story.

By Conker (Conker) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 11:14 am: Edit

The colleges claim that they will accept either, which is true. But what impression are you giving them if you're taking the old one and "conveniently" skipping the new one? ...that you can't write.

By Geodude666 (Geodude666) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 11:34 am: Edit

well, you still need the sat II writing to prove that you can write, but i find the new sat much easier anyways

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 11:51 am: Edit

Exactly what all colleges will do for 2006 admittees is not yet clear; some have announced they will continue to take the old SAT; some, like the UC's, have announced that you must submit the new SAT. The College Board site provides a long list of colleges which have said they will require a writing test for 2006 admittees. Many who have seen that list assume that means they can submit the old SAT plus SAT II writing. Not true. The list does not tell you one way or the other whether the school will accept the old SAT plus SAT II writing or will instead require the new SAT.

By Conker (Conker) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 12:01 pm: Edit

"well, you still need the sat II writing to prove that you can write, but i find the new sat much easier anyways"

Harvard said that you can take either the old SAT or the new SAT, and then any 3 SAT II's of your choice.

By Vtran31 (Vtran31) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 03:18 pm: Edit

I sorta got the impression that old SAT would essentially be worthless. Maybe I got the wrong impression. I got the wrong impression from princeton right?
and what the heck is a dinero?

By Frs (Frs) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 11:02 am: Edit

I'm also wondering whether or not to take the old SAT (Class of '06).

And dinero is Spanish for "money."

By Sherman1 (Sherman1) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 11:06 am: Edit

i am so pissed that we cant submit either. if youre in the class of 06 youre going to have to be taking either the new SAT or the SATIIs in march, april, may, june and october if youre going to apply early. i am pissed.

By Smalltownworld (Smalltownworld) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

I recently just finished taking an SAT Prep course this summer. And they have staff who seriously everyday talk to colleges about the New SAT. And yes, the majority of colleges are accepting the New SAT only. HOWEVER, there are colleges out there who are taking either/or for the class of 06 (Duke was one they said)

So they suggest taking both the New and Old SAT. And why not? The old SAT you can prepare for easily and get a high score, plus it's all going to be old tests given beforehand (The ETS always recycles the same test 4 times) so you might see something familiar that you had in a practice test or prep book. And even if the college you're applying for doesn't accept the Old SAT, it still good practice to take it for the New One, since there's still going be critical reading, sentence completion and most of the same math.

That's what I suggest you do. But if you're still lost, I would also send an email or letter to the admissions office at the colleges you want to apply to and ask them what they'll be accepting in regards to the SAT's for the Class of 06.

By Sherman1 (Sherman1) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 01:29 pm: Edit

brown is also accepting the old SAT

By Dkm (Dkm) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 02:20 pm: Edit

y u guys so worried...y dont u just do the new sat instead of worrying which university takes the old one and new one

By Alotor (Alotor) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Cornell/Georgetown are also accepting the old SAT

By Alotor (Alotor) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 02:29 pm: Edit

Here's probably the sentence we can conclude for the moment:

If you want to take the old SAT, don't bother applying to the UC's.

By Frs (Frs) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 04:39 am: Edit

"Cornell/Georgetown are also accepting the old SAT"

Hahaha, those are my top two choices. Old SAT here I come.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page