BEST BOOK for SAT verbal section..

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: BEST BOOK for SAT verbal section..
By Neolinski (Neolinski) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

hello.

i am trying to find some book (i know i already wasted half of this summer;;) to boost my sat score.

well. i do have barron's vocab list to memorize,
but i frequently heard people saying reading book is the most important thing to raise your score. so, i tried to read some -0-

i am daily reading (like 30 min to 1 hours ; do i need more?? how much should i read? ??) magazines. newsweek, time, and SI. then i stoped by a local library to see if they had a recommanded books and stuff. they had tons of.. well that was a problem.

WHICH BOOK SHOULD I READ FIRST?
(i havent read any serious book myself for long time -_-)
something interesting, not too long.. enlighted me please!

have nice day.

By Neolinski (Neolinski) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

any literatures??

PLEASE HELP ME ..

By Isabella (Isabella) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 12:26 am: Edit

Man, summer is half over already? Don't say that!! I swear it just started.

I would do Verbal Workout from PR. You don't need a massive word list; it's overkill. If you've got it and have time to kill, knock yourself out, but I'd go with a shorter list. The one in Word Smart is pretty good.

And yeah, definitely read, but not crap like Sports Illustrated or other consumer mags. Read literature, the NY Times, stuff like that. Novels like Invisible Man and Great Gatsby are great.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 12:55 am: Edit

Blasphemy! There's still 1 1/2 months of sweet summer left.

Find a list of classics that all high schoolers are recommended to read...and read them. I find high school lists like that from reputable sources to be useful, because I'm sure College Board has looked over them. Word lists like "100 words every high school graduate should know" are also good.

By Lj2233 (Lj2233) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 01:12 am: Edit

Anything by Richard Powers. Sheer genius.
I found reading history books to be helpful.

By Iluvme (Iluvme) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 01:29 am: Edit

i kno u said short but Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code is def a greeat book cuz its soso interesting plus has some good vocab.. def an AMAZING book! ok it is extremely long but who cares cuz it's insanely good lol

By Silverstar (Silverstar) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 02:00 am: Edit

Yes I'd recommend Da Vinci Code to anyone, as well as its prequel, Angels and Demons (which I actually thought was the better book). Some people claim its overrated, but I have yet to meet somebody who has read it and did not like it.

By Zofaan (Zofaan) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 02:29 am: Edit

I'm currently studying with the Gruber's dictionary and the 3000 SAT word dictionary. I went from averaging a little over a half correct to answering just about every sentence completion correct. Analogies are a little tougher of course.

Does anyone know any good books for the Critical Reading?

I wouldn't waste my time reading long novels. The key to Critical Reading has to be to just get a feel for the way the questions are developed.

By Alotor (Alotor) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 08:19 am: Edit

Like what Zofaan, said, get 10 reals and just practice the CR questions. Read them, take your time, and analyze what the questions asks.

Also don't forget to read newspapers.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page