IB SCORES! Tomorrow. . .

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: IB SCORES! Tomorrow. . .
By Neobez (Neobez) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

I took spanish Sl and latin Sl. . .so it's not as big a deal for me as it is to seniors who already graduated. Still exciting. . .mine are posted in 12 hours I think.

By Z00b (Z00b) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 02:19 am: Edit

What's the site and what do we need to access them?

By Lj2233 (Lj2233) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 08:19 am: Edit

http://results.ibo.org
I know I didn't get my diploma - I passed out at least once during every single exam. Not good, and my coordinator was a distinct jerk about it.
You need your school code, your candidate number, and a PIN the coordinators give you.

By Neobez (Neobez) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 10:35 am: Edit

Lj are you serious? Do you have a medical condition?

That sucks. . .I hope you get the diploma though

By Karmapoliceman (Karmapoliceman) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 12:07 pm: Edit

I took 3; Math Methods SL, Psych SL, and Physics SL. I expected 5 in Physics (bad teacher), 7 in Psych, and 6 in Methods (because I goofed up on a portfolio). Turns out I got 7 in Methods, 6 in Psych, and 5 in Physics... go figure. Oh well, they don't count for college credit anyhow, and I'm sure I'll get 40+ pts (although not the full 45).

By Emilia (Emilia) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 12:31 pm: Edit

I got a 6 in SL Chem, my sixth subject and the only exam I took this May. I'm quite pleased considered I didn't study and slacked off during seminar :).

By Neobez (Neobez) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 12:32 pm: Edit

I took 2 exams. Latin was the toughest damn test ever, I swear. With that said, I did pass, so I guess I can't complain. I'm through with ib latin tests. . .no HL next year, which is supposed to be 3x worse. I did alright in spanish.

latin sl: 4
spanish b sl: 5

By Lj2233 (Lj2233) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

Whoa... I got the diploma.

My scores:
6 on Spanish SL and English HL
5 on History HL and French HL
5 on Math SL
4 on Physics SL

Spanish, English, History, and French should have all been 7s. For History I blacked out for half an hour and was on the floor. So I guess I did comparatively okay. I'm just glad it's all over. Now I have to find out my ap world grade... grr!!

In answer to the above question, yeah, I have a "medical condition" that was CONVENIENTLY UNDIAGNOSED until last week. Blech to them all.

By Emilia (Emilia) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Congrats! Will you be getting college credit for some of the subjects?

By Marissal (Marissal) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

I took Bio SL this year...will be the only one I take, i'm leaving the IB schools.

This morning I looked and looked for my paper with my pin/pw, and I can't find it.

By Smartgirl (Smartgirl) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

what is the highest IB score on one exam?

By Emilia (Emilia) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 02:51 pm: Edit

7 is the highest score on any IB exam. 4 is passing.

I saw the chemistry grading scale from 2003; if one gets roughly half of all of the exam questions right (or half credit on everything for paper 2), he gets a four and passes. :P.

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 02:51 pm: Edit

ah, congrats! I took SL pscyh and chem but can't find my PIN #! My advisor gave it to me earlier in the year and I had it in May...so anyways, I have to go up to school in a bit to check my scores. I'm an incoming senior, so these scores aren't too vital or anything. However, my older bro got his scores and received his diploma. :) Another friend (also just graduated) also got his by a longshot. I don't know my scores, so I'll use his to brag about, hehe:

SL Psych: 7
SL Chem: 6
SL Spanish: 6
HL English: 6
HL Biology: 7
HL Math Methods: 6

:D

By Lj2233 (Lj2233) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 03:03 pm: Edit

wow, everyone has great scores!!! all of my friends have passed so far so that is great.
i'm not worried about college credit for APs because my school only takes 4 tests out of all of the ones you do. and i've taken 11 AP tests so i'm just taking my credits from those tests. i'm so thrilled that i passed, i still have no idea how...

By Legendofmax (Legendofmax) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 04:15 pm: Edit

All 7's :):):):)

By Yujin (Yujin) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 06:14 pm: Edit

Category:
Anticipated

Result:
0 points : - Anticipated entry

Session
Subject
Level
Grade

MAY 2004
ECONOMICS
SL

i got a 3...fook!

oh well, i didn't even study for it, it was hard. :-\

By Paulhomework (Paulhomework) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 02:37 am: Edit

SL physics: 6
SL econ: 7

i'm damn pleased with both of my scores. 7 in econ is pretty rare in my school each year, with 3 or 4 people getting it. Phyiscs is even worse. We've only had like 5 in 10 years. So a 6 is pretty good.

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 09:41 am: Edit

SL psych: 6
SL chem: 5

I was expecting a 6 at worst in psych due to the 1st question on the test asking about the reductionist theory. My instinct told me the correct answer but I didn't go along with it. My answer was semi-incorrect and my internal assessment was good but not sure how it compared to a perfect one. Anyhoo, my teacher had to pick up both SL+HL psych classes 2 months into the year, so I think she did a great job. :)

I really wanted a 6 in chem, but 5 is decent. I'm not complaining either because I'm content with a 5 or because the past is the past.

By Ledyana (Ledyana) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

bfjava.. how did u study for psych? i thought the exam was really hard (i am out of town n my pin is at home).. what textbook did u use? since most of the student in my school rarely gets 7.. most of them get 5..

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

ah, wow, I honestly thought the psych test was extremely easy. I definitely thought it was harder than the AP psych test, though. AP was piece of cake since its 100 multiple choice and 2 short answer questions.

I was somewhat disappointed in my 6 because the only thing I wasn't sure on was that reductionist theory in which I originally started writing about but later changed. That mistake and my internal assessment (my teacher gave me 17/20) must have dropped my score to a 6.

Anyways, it felt easy for me for a # of reasons. My teacher is actually an English teacher but she was put in charge of psych after the 1st quarter of the year. She worked her 4$$ off reading ahead of us in order to teach. The tests she used were these very difficult multiple choice questions from some source she had. So we had to know each chapter in detail and she also knew which material in the textbook was in the IB curriculum and which was not.

However, her teaching wasn't the primary reason I did well. The first 2 months of school I didn't pay attention at all and had a D, hehe. Once the teacher changed I became serious since my grade was in the gutter. I practically aced everything from there on out and ended with a mid B. Second semester I started out well and finished with a strong A. Strangely enough, the in depth knowledge of the chapters didn't help me much in the end. I forgot 80% of what I learned since I paid no attention in class and crammed the night before each test.

So, the thing that really saved me was the AP psych test. I had never taken an AP test before and most IB students don't take AP psych until HL psych. I decided to take it after SL so I expected it to be really hard. I bought the Barron's AP Psych study guide and practically memorized it in depth. The last 4 chapters in it I ran out of time to learn in depth, though, and just read them the day before the AP test since it wasn't on the IB test. Anyways, the Barron's AP book taught me everything I failed to learn within the first few months of school while the other areas reviewed me.

umm, a few weeks before the SL psych test my teacher made us write a few essays for practice and gave us all the past SL psych tests...that really helped. oooo but the thing that helped the most was she gathered 6-10 names of theorists for each perspective. She then gave us quizzes on the names and experiments of the theorists. This all happened within the last month before the test. That way we were forced to learn the theorists' names and experiments/theories for the SL test.

In conclusion, the three things I did to study for the SL psych test were the following:
1) Learn the Barron's AP psych study guide in depth, EXTREMELY IN DEPTH
2) Memorize all those theorists for the perspectives
3) My friend who scored a 7 on it from the previous year gave me 2 pages of notes. The pages consisted of the main 2-4 assumptions & implications, as well as the history/background, of each perspective. This really helped me because I knew the implications of each perspective using maybe 5-8 concise words. Remarkably, almost every IB psych question asked for one implication for each perspective! It helped amazingly!

In all honesty, I could have taken the HL exam and have done just as well. The reason for this was because I learned all the psych material for the AP exam. The HLers at my school also had the reductionist question and didn't know what it was either. The ironic thing is my teacher pointed out that something IB could cunningly ask us was the reductionist theory! I was stupid and was barely paying attention when she told us, so I forgot what it was. That's actually probably why my first instinct was the correct answer since my teacher told us a week earlier.

Anyways, does that answer your question? hehe, sorry for the babbling. It's hard to say how to study. For example, last year my older bro took the SL psych test and also got a 6. He slept in class almost everyday(no joke), with a mediocre grade, and knew nothing. He had a different teacher, a very experienced one, who made powerpoints for each perspective. My brother just thoroughly studied the power points within the last 1.5 days of the test and a got a 6 with a 4 on the internal assessment. So, yea...I suppose it also depends how much you write.

I haven't asked any friends what they got on theirs, so I might be one of the only high scores. I really have no idea how others in my class did but I do know I wrote much more than them. With both Papers1+2 and the option they wrote maybe 7-8 pages max. I wrote 14, hehe. 10 on Paper 1 and 4 on the option. Soooo, yea, go figure...

By Ledyana (Ledyana) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 10:27 am: Edit

thx alot! I still have not checked score since my pin is at home.. im predicting that I will get a 4.. but im hoping that i will get at least a 5.. btw what is the answer for number 2.. the assumption for the learning perspective (im quite confused since there are different assumptions in the learning perspective, biological factor, cognitive factor, and behaviorist factor).. which one should we write? and I also down know exact meaning of reductionist.. and for the second part (optional one), which one did u do? i did pyschoanalytic..

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

The reductionist approach is when you look for the simplest explanation/origin of the problem/disease/etc etc. I had this at first but changed it, noo!

ummm that test was 2 months ago so my psych is a bit rusty...one assumption of the learning perspective was that environmental/external factors play a significant role in human behavior. ehh, I know that isn't the exact wording I wrote on the test but that is essentially what it comes down to. I'll have to check my papers later if you really want to know?

As far as the optional material, I chose the dysfunctional option. How does your teacher teach the options? Does she make you learn all of them?? That is suicide! You should only learn ONE option during the year and then write on that option on the test. The way all my IB teachers teach is they choose or let us choose which options we want to study. We then spend a significant amount of time on that option(s). When the test comes along, she/he tells us to go straight to the dysfunctional questions and ignore the rest. Or like in chem, I chose to study the medicine and biochem options during the year, thus I didn't even read the rest of the option questions on the SL test. Get it?

By Ledyana (Ledyana) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 08:10 pm: Edit

hm.. oh.. how bout if behavior is learnt? (I want to say through the environment but it contradicts with the cognitive factor and the biological factor).. i give the operant conditioning as an example.. yup.. i only studied the psychodynamic.. but we studied it out of class (saturday class like 2 hours each week in the second semester).. n we didnt get much time to review..

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

saying through the environment is fine. it's fine if it contradicts the cognitive and biological factors. do you know why? because those are different perspectives! the perspectives were made to oppose each other! the cognitive theorists made the cognitive perspective because they disagreed with the learning perspective! in modern times learning+cognitive sort of joined into one perspective. so anyways, the different perspectives are not supposed to supplement each other by any means.

yeah, we didn't review too much either. we just learned it well the first time. i don't know how others reviewed in my class. I reviewed while prepping for the AP psych test using that Barron's study guide.

By Ledyana (Ledyana) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 12:53 pm: Edit

isnt the learning perspective divided into three factors? the bio (this one is about the unpreparedness / preparedness / contraprepared behavior - Seligman) / cog (this one is about Kohler - insight learning / Bandura - observational leraning / Tolman - latent learning) / and behaviorist (classical conditioning and operant conditioning)? so if i say through the environment... it will contradict with the cognitive factor of the learning perspective which is that behavior can be learnt just by thinking about them.. ?

By Bigdreamscj (Bigdreamscj) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 01:52 pm: Edit

Just got my scores..I'm pretty happy.

SL Spanish-- 7
SL Psychology-- 6

What is it with psychology IB..is it possible to get a 7? lol.

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 06:06 pm: Edit

the learning perspective divided into 3 perspectives? umm, nope. the learning perspective is the samething as the behavioral perspective. it's just a different name for it! The 3 main perspectives are biological/biomedical, cognitive, and behavioral/learning.

Seligman, Tolman, Bandura, blah blah, are cognitive-behavioral theorists. Remember how I said that in modern times the cognitive+behavioral perspectives were sort of joined into one perspective? Those theorists you listed are pretty much examples of the most recent cognitive-behavioral perspective.

bigdream - yeah, stupid psych. my friend got a 7 last year on SL psych, but other than that I haven't heard from anyone else, hehe. i should have had a 7! man, it must had been my internal asssessment. my teacher just started psych this year and wasn't too familiar with the IB stuff in pscyh. so that could have been it. as far as the actual SL test, I'm pretty sure I got a 7 on that. the internal assessment probably dropped me.

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 09:32 pm: Edit

ahhh, man, I'm just now finding out IB scores from seniors who just graduated from my school. wow, some of their scores are amazing! I thought it was amazing when I posted the scores of that one friend of mine above...out of just learning scores from 5 other students, there are at least 3 of them who are almost, if not equal, to the person's scores I listed above. here, I'll copy/paste some of them:

HL World Lit- 6
HL Spanish- 7
HL Biology- 6
SL Euro Hist- 7
SL Math Methods- 7
SL Psychology- 6

EE- C
toK- A (2 extra points)

total diploma points: 41/42

another one:

HL World Lit- 6
HL Psychology - 7
HL Biology- 5
SL Euro Hist- 7
SL Math Methods- 7
SL SpanishB - 6

EE/ToK- 1 extra point

total diploma points: 39/42

the amazing thing is these ppl are not 4.0 students, either, although I do think they're pretty close. the reassuring thing is I know all these ppl fairly well and work just as hard, if not harder, then many of them. so if they're getting scores like the ones above, then i'm excited about testing next year. :)

here's another thing to think about: the only person who is going to a "top" university is the very first person I listed above in my first post to this thread. The second person, who has 41, is going on a full ride to a state school. The 3rd person is also going to a state school with considerable amounts of scholarships. The first person, who is going to Yale next year, is the only one out of a couple students from that class going to a 'top' college. There was another girl who's going to Cornell, Uni of Chicago, the 6-7 yr MD/BA program at Northwestern, etc etc.

This shows that there are MANY superb students who do not attend 'top' colleges. Just a thought...many of them use their talents to receive scholarships so that they can go to college. Another thing many of them keep in mind is life experience. Top colleges have great names but not necessarily best opportunities or academics. I mean, with 28 IB pts you are granted sophomore status/30 credit hours at the Uni of Tulsa. out of the $22,000 yearly tuition, the uni automatically gives you $5,000+ in renewable schlarship money. my bro had like a 3.3 unweighted GPA with not the most rigorous IB courseload and received nearly $10,000 just like that! what an opportunity!

By Emilia (Emilia) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

There's a college near my school that lets anyone who receives an IB Diploma start as a full sophomore as well.

Don't you dare mention the extended essay. Thinking of it makes me sick to my stomach.

By Legendofmax (Legendofmax) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

Extended Essay... that is going to obliterate me.

By Emilia (Emilia) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

What's your topic?

By Paulhomework (Paulhomework) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit

I really don't care what i get in my extended essay, as long as it's D or above. it's just not worth it, especially if you have enough points w/o it.

By Congresssenator (Congresssenator) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

6- MAY 2004 ENGLISH A1 HL
4- MAY 2003 FRENCH B SL
A- MAY 2004 HISTORY EE
7- MAY 2004 HIST.AMERICAS HL
6- MAY 2004 CHEMISTRY HL
6- MAY 2003 ENVIRON.SYST. SL
6- MAY 2004 MATHEMATICS HL
A- THEORY KNOWL. TK

EE/TOK points: +3
Total Points: 38/45

And a diploma-worthless extra SL Econ- 5

By Emilia (Emilia) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

Congrats to all those who received their diplomas :).

By Ledyana (Ledyana) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 10:38 am: Edit

Ho.. u guyz r reall smart hehe.. anyone have tips for taking the IB exam?

I will be having

Indonesian SL A1
English HL A2
Math SL
Chemistry HL
Psychology HL (Im changing my SL to HL)
Economics HL

thx

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 12:07 pm: Edit

hehe, no need to change SL psych to HL. there isn't too much more you need to learn for HL. instead take the AP psych test after SL psych and simply self-study the parts of HL you wouldn't have learned. In all honesty, HL in most classes is almost all review of SL excluding a few advanced topics you learn. Those advanced topics in HL psych are like the humanitarian (haha i don't think it's called that, but something like that) perspective and the option you didn't learn in SL. It's saves a a lot of time to just self-study that material and then take the AP exam, which will also give you college credit similar to the HL pscyh exam. In fact, most colleges give AP credit before IB. If they give one of the two, it's usually only AP.

By Bigdreamscj (Bigdreamscj) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 12:37 am: Edit

Ledyana: For Psych, know crazy amounts of names, years, studies, ect..since it's all essays, you'll look pro if you have lots of fluff like that to support yourself.

By Ledyana (Ledyana) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 07:22 am: Edit

bfjava- since im dropping my math HL to SL, so in exchange i want to change my psych SL to HL.. and i want to major in psych (+economics).. btw if i lost my pin number.. where can i get my score?

By Bfjava (Bfjava) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 12:42 am: Edit

hmm i always thought math methods SL was tough, but I have several friends (who rarely did their homework and had D's in the class) who are scoring 7 on the test from this past year. In fact, I haven't heard of any SL math methods test below a 7 yet. I always thought it was my teacher who prepared us well, but I'm not sure if it's rather the easiness of the test?

Ledyana - cool, cool, that works. definitely know crazy amounts of names and studies like bigdream said since it's all essays. I'm not sure if dates are necessary, though. I knew a few and I think used them, although I think I was the only person who used dates in my class.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page