SUMMER BOoks to Read to prepare for AP LIT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: SUMMER BOoks to Read to prepare for AP LIT
By Kingroger317 (Kingroger317) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 10:48 pm: Edit

hello, i really dont read that much, but for AP LIT next year i know you need to read a lot of books to know the allusions. bah i know its too late, dont give me criticism but what are some BIG ones you need to know
like Homer, greek plays? austen, bronte? etc.... could u guys help me out and list some of the most referred to books on that test. thxs!

By Aquaholic (Aquaholic) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 11:44 pm: Edit

we had to read: crime and punishment, king lear, death of a salesman, wide sargasso sea, return of the native, the secret sharer, heart of darkness, the sound and the fury... combined with last year's othello, their eyes were watching god, scarlet letter, and various others

i recommend: crime and punishment if you can handle it, death of a salesman (intense theme without too tiresome of reading), any shakespeare you can get your hands on, scarlet letter, wuthering heights, and at least something by faulkner, the sound and the fury is somewhat difficult but definitely rewarding once you get the message :)

also- doesn't really matter how you do it, but make sure you familiarize yourself with the bible and mythology. a well-stocked allusion toolbox is always useful when trying to extract meaning from a passage... and especially useful when you decide to just forego all logic and make up a meaning :)

By Etsrep78328 (Etsrep78328) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 11:52 pm: Edit

My recommendations for AP Literature readings include:

1. A Light in August (William Faulkner)
2. A Room with a View (E. M. Forster)
3. The Joy Luck Club (Amy Tan)
4. My Antonia (Willa Cather)

By Kingroger317 (Kingroger317) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

how do you get knowlledgeable iwth Religion, im atheist i know jack crap

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 02:19 am: Edit

Just look at the books that are repeatedly listed as options for the free response question. Pick one and be able to write a decent essay about it. This year our question was so open-ended all we had to do was choose any book of literary merit and make up our own question about it.

By Irock1ce (Irock1ce) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 02:37 am: Edit

my books that i have to read for AP Lit: Blindness - Jose Saramago (INTENSE book. amazing)
Beowulf- translated by Seamus Heaney
Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner
Notes from the Underground - Dostoyevsky
Portrait of the Artist as a Young man- James Joyce

By Kingroger317 (Kingroger317) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 01:22 pm: Edit

where is this list of books/ free response? sorry im bad @ finding these thigns

for religion should i read the bible, lol

By Kingroger317 (Kingroger317) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 01:52 pm: Edit

bump

By Vtran31 (Vtran31) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 03:28 pm: Edit

scarlet letter was oen of the few books I read where I had to concentrate to knwo what was going on. that may be helpful for critical reading. note: if u decide to read it, DO NOT READ THE FIRST CHAPTER. utterly pointless unelss u want osme stupid symbolism

By Number9 (Number9) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

If you don't know much about religions, check out Wikipedia.org and go through all the religion entries and read up on them. They are quite fascinating and you acquire the basic principles that will help you...

I'd also suggest doing this with major philosophies. You might end up converting!

By Kingroger317 (Kingroger317) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

oh

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page