Explain to me how taking the best score from each subject of

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Explain to me how taking the best score from each subject of
By Rokurota (Rokurota) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Back in May, I received a 1450, with a 720v and 730m. I was almost certain I could do much better in math, so I retook in June. I received a 1460 with a 660v and an 800m. Now, I get to combine my two best scores into a 1520? Or only some schools do this? I hear UC schools don't do this, and only take your best score on one sitting. Is this true? Since I'm going to be applying to UCs, in that case would they only look at my best score with my 660 verbal (which is terrible for me), and put to waste 6 months of verbal studying to get above 700? I used to be in the 500s, studied like crazy, and got my 720. My point is, do they only take your best score 1460, with my two breakdowns? Because that would really disappoint me.

By Rokurota (Rokurota) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 03:21 pm: Edit

The title should say "subject of the SAT works"

By Neolinski (Neolinski) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

i think you will be much better off with contact directly UCs and ask them. i know most of east coast college (at least officially) look only into best score of each subject and combined. but rumor(probably right) is they look at more than a mere highest combined score.

I used to be in the 500s, studied like crazy, and got my 720
this is coolest. this is exactlly what i am trying to do.
TELL me how did you do that? special hell preping? word-list?? please enlighten me ^_^ PLEASE !

By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 08:20 pm: Edit

I'm not quite sure why colleges will let you combine scores

For example, you can forget about the math section on one sitting and focus entirely on the verbal using the time from the math section and get a 800. On another sitting you can forget about the verbal, and just focus on math. Just doesn't seem right to me

By Drusba (Drusba) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 08:45 pm: Edit

Majority of colleges take your highest subscores from multiple tests and combine to get composite for purpose of determining admission and for those you would have a 720v and 800m. However, UC's are in the minority and consider for admission only your highest composite from one sitting, so the one they will consider is the 1460 with the 660v and 800M. You should note that SAT II's are far more important than SAT's at the UC's. Your score is high enough for any of the UC's but it is only a partial step to admission.

By Ecnerwalc (Ecnerwalc) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

Do they let you combine ACT subscores?

By Rokurota (Rokurota) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 12:18 am: Edit

Thanks for the input.

-Neolinkski
At first I struggled in all areas of the verbal. What I did was simple. Back in December, 5 months before my May test, I got Barron's SAT book. 3500 freakin words. I tried to do a list every night or so, and review every so often. I did this with a friend so we could keep each other on track. If you really put as much effort as humanly possible, I guarantee you will not be content with a 720. My "original" goal was 700 or above. When I had finished up most of my lists, I realized "holy crap I'm getting all these right" and my practice test verbal scores were 750 and above. Vocab will get you sentence completions and analogies, but I never figured out the trick or a good studying method for reading comp. On my 720 I missed 0 SCs, 1 analogy, and 5 reading comp. In addition I skipped 2 reading comp. Vocab is the way to go. You won't be disappointed.

I'll be very disappointed if my 660 is the score that counts for me =/.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 08:46 am: Edit

"Do they let you combine ACT subscores?"

Unlike what they do with the SAT, most colleges do not combine ACT subscores from multiple tests (UC's do not combine). For that test the vast majority of colleges rely on your highest composite from a single sitting. A minority combine subscores from multiple tests but often those are ones that do not rely on composite, science, or reading score, but only rely on the English and math score.

By Neolinski (Neolinski) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 08:38 pm: Edit

you may feel a bit disappointed about not combining policy of UCs. i think if you are not really bonded to UCs, you should 'also' apply for some other schools who combine the highest sub scores. 1520 would put you top of most of people. or for UC wise, you should (definitely if you can) retake another SAT on october. it's a bit too early for upset, isn't it? i think there is still a plenty of possible way to improve your admission.

i see the hope through you !
yes i do own barron's but i just looked up. and.. i have some 90 days until my oct. sat. woo.. that gonna be hard -0-

tell me more tip on verbal section. (any particular way to memorize vocabs??) didnt you think about taking ACT? since i heard ACT doesnt really need that much vocabs.. my verbal (and vocab skill) section.. is horrible;;

thanks in advance ^_^

By Rokurota (Rokurota) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

Nah I gotta take Writing and Spanish in Oct. Thanks for the supporting words, though. It means a lot.

You have 90 days. I had 150. Except for the fact that mine was during my junior year, where I was bogged down with many hard classes. There were many many nights I didn't do anything. In fact, a week before and a week after finals I didn't do anything at all. If you study all summer, it would be more than plenty.

When you're memorizing, memorize the lists out of order. I hear memorizing alphabetically isn't as effective as random words. I never thought about taking the ACT, because it was just something I never looked into. But you never know, it may be something more suitable to your skills. Also, a tip for Critical Reading my brother once told me was to read the Wall Street Journal. I could never keep up with that because it was way too boring, but for what I did read, I noticed they are talented writers and use a *wide* array of SAT words.

Don't fret. Study and you'll do fine.

By Neolinski (Neolinski) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

thank you for you advise.

good luck on your admission ^_^
see you

p.s : man, i wish i live in california. much better wave, perhaps *_*

By Isabella (Isabella) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

If you're applying to UCs and they don't take the highest individual scores, why not study your butt off for both sections and take it again and get that 1520 legit? Couldn't hurt.

By Rokurota (Rokurota) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 12:14 pm: Edit

I only have one more test date before early admissions applying and I need to take IIs.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page