SATII Biology E

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: SATII Biology E
By Wiredbrain (Wiredbrain) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 11:12 am: Edit

I am a rising junior who made a 5 on AP biology my freshman year (in 2003.) I am planning to take the SATII biology E in November or December - using SparkNotes as a review source.

It seems fairly comprehensive, but I'm aiming for an 800, so I want to cover anything that might be tested.

If anyone has used SparkNotes as a source I would appreciate any feedback on the material.

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 12:21 pm: Edit

I got a 5 on AP Bio and an 800 on Bio M. If you are well-rounded in Ecology, you should do fine.

For review, generally, your normal biology textbook should be good because ecology is usually not covered in as much depth or in as much difficulty as topics like the Citric Acid Cycle and other molecular biology topics. I would use Cliff's AP

By Scorp (Scorp) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

Pay attention, the course and questions on the SAT II may be slightly different than the AP.

By Wiredbrain (Wiredbrain) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 04:47 pm: Edit

Thank you for your imput, Adidasty and Scorp.
I actually don't have access to a textbook at the moment, and, although I'm sure that would be the most thorough approach, would prefer not to use a source not specifially geared towards the SATII or AP. (My AP class used Cambell's Biology and I found that, since it was not created with the AP test in mind, many subjects were explained in excessive detail etc.)
From looking at practice questions, it would appear that the SATII covers the same breath (subject areas) as the AP test, but not in as much detail.
Essentially, I'm trying to find out if SparkNotes reviews all the material necessary for an 800, but without unnecessary information.
I would appreciate any other comments etc.

By Scorp (Scorp) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 04:50 pm: Edit

I think 30% of the SATII Bio is organisms. Which I don't think is true for the AP. I would double check at the collegeboard website, though.

By Wiredbrain (Wiredbrain) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 08:24 pm: Edit

I don't know . . . I don't think AP devotes very much to the classificaton of organisms, but they had a lot on organ systems etc.

By Best_Wr (Best_Wr) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 11:43 pm: Edit

I took June Bio Ecology and scored 770 (got 5 on AP). I used Sparknotes, kaplan, barron's, etc.
i'd say sparknotes is a bit easy, but its curve is harsh (trust REAl SAT II Biology Curve).
kaplan's test is little weird. i don't know what to say about which book to use, but if you have pretty good background on biology, you should be fine. On SAT II (and in AP) there are some questions that you have no clue on (for me, it was the insect's body diagram) and no matter how well you're prepared, you'll have some questions that confuse you. just think them out and keep reviewing. you should be fine

By Wiredbrain (Wiredbrain) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 12:41 pm: Edit

Thanks, Best Wr. My 22 Real SATII book is at home (I'm at Harvard SSP this summer), but I think the curve was fairly lenient.

I still have my PR biology book for AP - which I thought was fine, although it contains about six or seven minor errors - so I might read through that again as well.

By Wiredbrain (Wiredbrain) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 06:57 pm: Edit

bump

By Wiredbrain (Wiredbrain) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

bump

By Tenbelow (Tenbelow) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 02:56 pm: Edit

I took AP Bio (don't know my score yet... my teacher said she would be very surprised if it wasn't a 5 though) and got a 800 on Bio M. For a comprehensive review, don't even touch the SAT II review books for Bio. Look at CliffsAP for biology. If you do that, there won't be many questions that surprise you. With the SAT II books they somewhat pick and guess what might be on the test, but with the CliffsAP they just cover all the sections you need to know. If you got a 5 on the AP exam already, I doubt you need much refreshing. I say just get the CliffsAP and read through it once or twice before taking the SAT II. Think of it this way... you're way ahead of the curve if you fived the AP exam in freshman year. When I took the SAT II Bio freshman year, I got a 590. Junior year, after AP, I got an 800. You should definitely do fine with just a small amount of review.

By Wiredbrain (Wiredbrain) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 03:59 pm: Edit

Thank you, Tenbelow. I'll purchase Cliffs AP since it's been recommended twice on this thread.

As a note of interest, I decided to take the E version only because a number of people have described it as generally easier than M and is somewhat intuitive.

By Energy1 (Energy1) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 07:13 pm: Edit

Is Ecology much easier than Molecular?

By Wiredbrain (Wiredbrain) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 09:31 am: Edit

As I understand it, they're both equal in difficulty, but most people feel more comfortable with ecology.

This is based on what other people have told me, however; I have yet to take a practice test.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page