Best SAT I Math prep book....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Best SAT I Math prep book....
By Alotor (Alotor) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 07:13 pm: Edit

Hey guys

I really need help boosting that math score. What books would you recommend that are really great to increase the math score? Is Gruber's good?

By Varr (Varr) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 02:24 pm: Edit

BUMP

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Also need to know, thanks.

By Kristennk (Kristennk) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

I'd like to know too

By Evad (Evad) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Gruber's is the best. I had a 48 on my math PSAT, and after going through the book my score went up more than 200 points on a 10 Real SAT practice test.

By Alotor (Alotor) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 12:50 am: Edit

Thanks alot Evad.

One question though: What sections of the Gruber's did you do to help your increase? Did you memorize the strategies section? How much time should I put in?

By Cavalier302 (Cavalier302) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 09:47 am: Edit

hey alotor, Kaplan's math workbook is really good. I recommend buying it and doing 1 section every night until you finish (abuot 3 weeks) and you'll probably see a big jump.

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Those who want to know the best prep book, give me your current score and I'll tell you accordingly what book you need.

By C0nfusion (C0nfusion) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

Well, I got a 690, which I'm almost positive was a fluke as I got 750+ on 3 full lengths before the test...So I'm really trying to raise my math to an 800, or at least 750+. I bought the Barron's math workbook..yea or nay?

By Alotor (Alotor) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Benzinspeicher -

I almost always score around 500-550. I want to get it above 600. It is the only way I can crack 1300 on the SAT. What is the best book?

By Evad (Evad) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 11:51 pm: Edit

The srategies helped me the most, but i also went over the basic skills, and the refresher in the Gruber book.

By Keng1 (Keng1) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 12:05 am: Edit

benzinspeicher...i score about 650+...generally 650(made up practice test) the lowest gotten as high as 790(real practice test)...wut do u recoommend for me?

By C0nfusion (C0nfusion) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 11:03 am: Edit

bump.

By 007 (007) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 01:09 pm: Edit

BARRONS ALL THE WAY!! the questions are damn good, most of them have a higher difficulty level than the real SAT but that will just make the real sat a whole lot easier and faster to complete!!

By Ledyana (Ledyana) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Princeton review.. I increase my score from 570 to 670 in the real test..

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 11:28 pm: Edit

I got a 650 the second time I took the SAT I, and I'd like to increase it by at least 70 points (720) so that my composite will be a 1500.

By Alotor (Alotor) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit

Ledyana -

For the Princeton Review book, is it the "Cracking the SAT" or the "SAT II: Math IC/IIC" one?

By Number9 (Number9) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 12:21 am: Edit

Ughhh...so we've mentioned every company now?

I got an absymal 590. Bought Grubers a while ago.

Someone suggest something for me. I'm tempted to get that Kaplan workbook.

My verbal is already high, so its just math...

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 12:39 am: Edit

C0nfusion-you're obviously capable of getting 750+. You need to focus on getting rid of silly mistakes. Practice the WHOLE tests on 10 Reals, but first, practice from the work book that you bought, and try to figure out a method to get rid of carelessness (maybe underlining and checking the answer right after doing the problem?)

Alotor-you should probably get Princeton Review's book and learn their tricks to scoring higher (estimating, plugging in, etc), you'll handle the test better, and you're score will move to a higher level.

Number 9-Same thing as Alotor

Keng1-Use 10 Real SATs and Barron's Math Workbook to practice both skills and actual test taking.

WillyWonka-Use Barron's Workbook, and Barron's SAT I.

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

ok, did anybody heed the advice that i gave them cuz the responses have been like dustballs for a while

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

ok, did anybody heed the advice that i gave them cuz the responses have been like dustballs for a while

By Alotor (Alotor) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 08:50 am: Edit

Benzinspeicher -

I looked at that Princeton Review book and it was very odd. I do not like the idea of buying that book. Recommend me another book please

By Ra2000a (Ra2000a) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

im doing grubers at the moment and it is very easy to do. easy as in they go over every question and show so many strategies. i like it so far and the questions are quite challenging so when i look at a real SAT i hope to find it much easier.

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

Alottor, in that case, just buy any SAT I book and just practice the mediums and hards, so you'll get some experience solving them, and will be able to do them for the real SAT

By Sagar_Indurkhya (Sagar_Indurkhya) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 12:03 pm: Edit

I have a 750 psat Math: Missed 1st easy question(no excuse, too much tension) and 1 hard one. On the SAT I, I got a 680 math, omitted 2 hard due to time constraint, and missed 5. I know I am capable of 800, but please suggest some books that have problems to practice or something.

PS: I am rising sophomore, so a long term plan is acceptable as well.

By Andrew1218 (Andrew1218) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 12:22 pm: Edit

i would NOT recommend Barrons for math. I just bought it the other day to help me raise my verb score and not really my math. So i take the diagnostic test at the beginning, and the math is impossible! i got a 700 on the real thing and got 6 wrong in the first section of that barrons test!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page