~ AP National Scholar ~

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: ~ AP National Scholar ~
By Mr_Sanguine (Mr_Sanguine) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 04:57 pm: Edit

Has anyone on CC gotten this? How many rising seniors get this each year?

By Speeddemon608 (Speeddemon608) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

what are the requirements for it?

By Mr_Sanguine (Mr_Sanguine) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 05:04 pm: Edit

You have to get a score of 4+ on 8 or more full year exams, or the equivalent. Like 2 1/2 year exams would count as 1 full year, for example.

By Justice (Justice) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 05:07 pm: Edit

Yep. 10APs (8full-year), all 5s. I'm a rising senior. I remember seeing a statistical thing on apcentral about the awards...I think it's close to 100 in the country.

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

You're average also has to be 4.0 or higher.

By Scorp (Scorp) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

what's a "rising senior" ?

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

7 full year 5s, 3 half-year 5s, 1 full-year 3. But I'm a rising college freshman, so I'm merely "pretty darn good" (there's what, 2100 rising-freshman National AP Scholars each year?) instead of "-good" like all you rising seniors. Darn county regulations forbidding taking AP classes before your junior year...

Scorp: A 'rising senior' is someone who's going to be entering their senior year of high school this fall.

By Scorp (Scorp) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

I'm guessing there are ~30,000 Rising seniors with AP Scholars with Distinction?

By Karmapoliceman (Karmapoliceman) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

AB Calc, Psych, Euro, APUSH: 5
Physics B, Lit Comp, Env. Sci, Comp Sci A:4
Lang Comp:3

Yeah, I'll get it... :).

By Karmapoliceman (Karmapoliceman) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

(all were full year).

By Mr_Sanguine (Mr_Sanguine) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

The following are the 1/2 year exams:

Computer Science A, Environmental Science, Human Geography, Comparative Government and Politics, U.S. Government and Politics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Physics C: Electricity & Magnetism, Physics C: Mechanics, Psychology, and Statistics. Results of exams corresponding to half-year courses are given half the weight of exam results corresponding to full-year courses.

By Karmapoliceman (Karmapoliceman) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 09:56 pm: Edit

LOL guess not... :(. Sorry for the misinformed post.

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 10:42 pm: Edit

Psych's a half-year now? Make that 6 full-years and 4 half-years, then.

Still 8 years combined. :)

By Justice (Justice) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/repository/2003scholarawards_31249.xls

Heh just counted. 86 rising seniors last year got National AP Scholar.

By Mr_Sanguine (Mr_Sanguine) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 11:37 pm: Edit

tnx Justice

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 11:40 pm: Edit

You have to do all of this by the end of your junior year? It's impossible to be a National AP Scholar in my county.

I resent something about this very much...

By Conker (Conker) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

What's the point of this National Scholar? Is it just cool to have, or do you get scholarship money? I doubt the elite colleges care very much.

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 12:08 am: Edit

Okay, for AP National Scholar, do you have to get a 4+ on all your tests or just have a 4+ AVERAGE on 8 full year tests? This would be important to se if I could get it...

By Mattman (Mattman) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 12:24 am: Edit

There's no scholarship money for it, but you do get a piece of paper (certificate) with your name on it the following September and it will go on AP score reports afterwards.

So in theory you get nothing of significance for it, but colleges will be bloody impressed with anyone who has amassed one, I can almost guarantee that. I've taken more APs than anyone at my school's 35+ year history and it was only 6.5 full years of exams, plus 1 full year (Music Theory) I didn't have the ear for.

By Al0 (Al0) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 12:42 am: Edit

I'm up for it, but haven't the money or the guts to call for the scores; I would have had it for sure, but my counselor ordered the wrong Comp Sci test! Since Comp Sci A is only a semester, that means I had to get a 4+ on Latin Virgil. I felt a lot better about this test the Latin Literature (3) one last year, but still wish me luck guys/gals! All the others were easy 5s (Sophomore year, too) and even if I messed up really bad a four at the least. Again, please wish me luck (maybe your prayers will magically transmogrify a 3 into a 4)!

By Lifeisgood (Lifeisgood) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 06:00 am: Edit

On that site, Justice, does 11 mean having finished 11th grade or going into 11th grade?

By Scorp (Scorp) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 01:19 pm: Edit

I counted and there are 3649 rising seniors with AP Scholar with Distinction (Counting Non-USA and Canada, my guess is that Canada is not counted in Non-USA?) Someone want to recount that I may have made a mistake. Remeber this is for Distinction and 11th grade. Although I'm sure that number will go up 1.5 times for Class of 2005.

By Mattman (Mattman) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 01:38 pm: Edit

the number is the grade the scores were in. for example, if it says 11th grade they just finished it and are rising seniors. 12 are rising college freshmen.

By Mr_Sanguine (Mr_Sanguine) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 01:57 pm: Edit

hmm for some of them it says college. According to your logic, Mattman, wouldn't that mean the scores came in when people were college freshmen, or rising college sophomores?

By Jess13 (Jess13) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 02:03 pm: Edit

Al0- did you take Latin Lit as a sophomore??

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 02:36 pm: Edit

Do you have to just have 8 full years with a 4+ average or actually GET 4+ on every test you take?

By Filo895 (Filo895) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 03:13 pm: Edit

Adidasty,
Your question is answered on the College Board website: "National AP Scholar:
The award of National AP Scholar is granted to students in the United States who receive an average grade of at least 4 on all AP Exams taken, and grades of 4 or higher on eight or more of these exams on full-year courses (or the equivalent)." Yes, it says you need to have at least a 4 on each of the exams.

By Al0 (Al0) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Jess-
I did Honors Latin I freshman year and had like 103% and could sight-read everything so I self-studied Latin II over the summer and took Latin Literature (Ovid and Catullus) my Sophomore year, but only got a 3 (our teacher knows Latin really well, but doesn't teach the AP syllabus and only one person in the past 5 years has broken a 3). I took Virgil as a Junior and am going to take Horace and Catullus next year as a senior.

By Al0 (Al0) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 03:26 pm: Edit

Filo895:
It's average of 4.0:

National AP Scholar
Granted to students in the United States who receive an average grade of at least 4 on all AP Exams taken, and grades of 4 or higher on eight or more of these exams on full-year courses (or the equivalent).

Copied from:
http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/scholarawards.html

notice the "average grade of at least 4"

By Shaman88 (Shaman88) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 03:36 pm: Edit

By end of junior year, I will have taken Comp. Sci. A, US Gov, Macro, Micro, Calc AB, US History,
Chem, Comp Sci AB, Bio. Is there a way I can take both Calc AB and BC in the same year in order to get National Scholar?

By Mr_Sanguine (Mr_Sanguine) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 03:48 pm: Edit

Al0 --

Their are two requirements:

1.) Grades of 4 or higher on 8+ full year exams or the equivalent.

2.) An average grade of 4 on all the exams you have taken in your life.

The two are similar, yet quite different. The second ensures that if you satisfied condition 1 -- that is, if you got grades of 4 or higher on eight or more full year exams (or the equivalent) -- you didn't do it just by fluke. For example, if you got eight 4's and 20 1's, your average is a 2.2, so you would not qualify.

For most students, chances are that if they were to satisfy condition 1, they most likely do so for 2 as well. Number 2 is simply a check.

So yes, you have to have at least a 4 on eight or more full year courses, or the equivalent. Filo is correct.

By Justice (Justice) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

I can't really say how much it means. There were two rising senior National AP Scholars at my school last year. One went to Princeton ED and the other got in Caltech EA, Stanford, Yale, (didn't apply Harvard) and others and ended up chosing Stanford. So it's not bad company to be in...
The grade level on that site refers to the grade in which you take the exams that ultimately got you the award. So a rising senior who gets an award would be 11.

By Mr_Sanguine (Mr_Sanguine) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 07:05 pm: Edit

Did they have alot of other stuff going for them Justice?

By Lifeisgood (Lifeisgood) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 07:05 pm: Edit

Ok. Thanks. What I don't get is how in Maine, for ex, there'd only be 1 AP scholar w/ distinc after junior year.

By Al0 (Al0) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Mr._Sanguine -
I know that we are saying the same thing, but re-reading Filo's response and the original post I still believe that (s)he did not state it correctly (read them both again).

By Al0 (Al0) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

I finally gave in and called and went 7/7 with 5s (including AB subscore) and made National AP, yeah!

By Mr_Sanguine (Mr_Sanguine) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

exactly what part are you disagreeing with? I'm not 100% sure either so we'll figure this out together lol.

By Al0 (Al0) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Adidasty asked, "Do you have to just have 8 full years with a 4+ average or actually GET 4+ on every test you take?"

Filo895 responed, "Yes, it says you need to have at least a 4 on each of the exams."

I took this to mean that (s)he thought that one had to achieve a 4+ on "each of the exams" one takes in order to qualify; this is mistaken. I hope this clears up any confusion.

By Mr_Sanguine (Mr_Sanguine) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

But I think that you do have to acheive a 4+ on the exams you take in order to qualify, not just get an average of 4+.

From the college board:

The award of National AP Scholar is granted to students in the United States who receive an average grade of at least 4 on all AP Exams taken, and grades of 4 or higher on eight or more of these exams on full-year courses (or the equivalent).

Notice the and.

Now, you might be thinking that if CB requires that you score 4+ on the exams, then why would they specify that your average is greater than 4? The answer to this is that you are only required to attain a score greater than 4 on the required number of exams -- eight -- not on ALL the exams you took, should you have taken more than eight.

Earlier I said that this eliminates those scoring twenty 1's and eight 4's, which is a good thing.

By Al0 (Al0) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 12:58 am: Edit

See Below

By Al0 (Al0) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 01:01 am: Edit

duh!!!

Sorry to be mean, but you keep missing the point!

Say someone has twenty 5s and one 2:
Their average grade is >= 4.0.
They have 8+ grades >= 4.
So they will qualify.
I have said this in all my posts; you have said this in all your posts.
We're going back to Adidasty's question as to whether this person would qualify (they have one test which is not 4+). Filo said (rather ambiguously) that one must have a 4+ on every single test one takes (so the above person would not qualify). This does not agree with what either of us has been saying.

Hopefully this clears up any misunderstanding.

By Filo895 (Filo895) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 10:29 am: Edit

Well, jumping back in, I meant that you need at least 4 on each of eight exams, as well as an average of at least 4 on all exams taken. So, we are all in agreement. Throwing in another monkey wrench, however, I am not certain that you get credit for 2 full-year exams with Calculus BC and the AB subscore. I believe I read somewhere that this only gives you credit for one full-year exam.

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 01:47 pm: Edit

Hey, what about if you acheive national AP status from the AP's you take your SENIOR year? Do you still get National AP Scholar? I'm just wondering. I'm just a rising junior.

By Mattman (Mattman) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

Adidasty, yes, it would still count, but you'd already be going to college so it's purely for bragging rights at that point (and you get a certificate). To actually impress a college you want to get into, you need to achieve it by the tests your JUNIOR YEAR and have them sent to the colleges you are interested in.

By Al0 (Al0) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 06:21 pm: Edit

I am pretty sure the AB subscore does not count as a test in and of itself and one only gets credit for the BC score.

By Wintersoul (Wintersoul) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 06:28 pm: Edit

Yeah, the AB subscore doesn't count for anything, or at least it didn't last year. BC Calc only counts as a one year exam.

By Lifeisgood (Lifeisgood) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

Is stats a whole or half?

By Mr_Sanguine (Mr_Sanguine) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

lol ok Al0. As long as we're good

By Mr_Sanguine (Mr_Sanguine) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

stats is 1/2

By Lifeisgood (Lifeisgood) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 09:14 pm: Edit

aww... that's unfortunate... I think I'd have national otherwise.

By Clipper (Clipper) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Ok, I am dumb - what if you have 7 5's and 1 3 - do you qualify?
I am a parent - this question does not apply to my D bc she will qualify but I was curious.

By Wintersoul (Wintersoul) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 08:09 pm: Edit

Clipper - no, the number of exams you take does not matter, only the average score and the number of tests with a score of 4 or 5.
To qualify for national, you must score a 4 or 5 on at least 8 full year exams (or the equivalent, where 2 half year exams make a full year), and you must also have an average score of 4 or above on all exams taken.

Seven 5's and one 3 would not qualify, neither would eight 4's and one 3. Eight 4's with no other tests would qualify.

By Clipper (Clipper) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

Thanks for clarifying Winter -

what about 8 5's and 1 3? LOL

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

hey justice, i'm from MA too, Stoneham

By Subtrunks (Subtrunks) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 02:03 pm: Edit

3649 rising juniors with ap scholar of distinction ...wow i thought there would be more ..ohh well it sure did help in admission

By Scorp (Scorp) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

"3649 rising juniors with ap scholar of distinction ...wow i thought there would be more ..ohh well it sure did help in admission
"

That's rising seniors, people who will be seniors. Are you already accepted to a college? How much did it help you, Subtrunks?

By Subtrunks (Subtrunks) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

Well When I was a rising Senior I got my Scholar with distinction thing. It helped out alot in my case because I sucked at my SAT's and it gave a chance for thetopschools to see I can handle a tough course load.

SAT:1310
Ap(last years this years arew still in the mail)
Chem-3
Calc Bc-3
#AB-4
English-3
PhysicsB-4
Spanish-5

It certainly helped.
Colleges accepted:
Amherst
Williams
Swarthmore

It helps that I'am hispanic and I'am going into the sciences butI believe my class rank combined with the essays and ap scores made it for me.

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

1310 doesn't suck man; it's a great score

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

sucks that MA hasn't gotten their scores via mail yet

stupid Crapsachusetts

By Delacroix (Delacroix) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 02:01 pm: Edit

YES!!!!! I just got my scores!!! finally!!!!!! I think I'm gonna be a National AP scholar (i'm a rising senior)!!!! I'm in heaven!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page