Who is taking both the New and Old SAT ??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: Who is taking both the New and Old SAT ??
By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

Hey,

Who is taking both the New and Old SAT ?? Any reasons for it? I was originally going to take the new one, but then after looking at the analogies and quantitive comparison they don't look too tough, so I wondered maybe I should practice with them anyway, take the old test first, and then take the new one as well. But then I feel like I am wasting time by practicing on the old material.. What Should I do?!?!

Please offer some Advice! :)

By Smartgirl (Smartgirl) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit

I will take both the old and new SAT. I visited Harvard a few weeks ago, and it said that it would accept highest math and verbal scores, even from the old SAT.

By Smalltownworld (Smalltownworld) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 01:39 pm: Edit

While most schools are accepting the New SAT, others are taking either/or for the class of 06 (for example, Duke is taking either or and depending on which one you take depends on how many SAT IIs you take as well). Others are also accepting the old one still.

Taking both is actually a good idea. The Old one is stuff you already know and can prepare for, so you can score higher and practice for the new one. I know people say the New SAT is different from the old one, and it is, but there's still going to be the same stuff on it (Sentence Completion, Critical Reading, same math for the most part, etc.) So it's still practice.

Basically take both and whatever score you like best, send it to the colleges your applying to (but first email them asking what they're accepting). That's what I'm doing, as well as most of my classmates.

By Albertfermat (Albertfermat) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 02:11 pm: Edit

smartgirl: did they say anything about what happens if u don't take the NEW one? Do u need to take the SAT II Writing in order to compensate for the new writing section on the NEW SAT if u dont take the NEW SAT? Any other important things u found out would be useful.
thanks in advance

By Smartgirl (Smartgirl) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Well, from what I heard, it depends on what college you are interested in. Some colleges, like Harvard, accepts either old or new SAT, so if you take only old SAT, it wont affect you negatively. On the other hand, the other colleges, like the University of California (go to collegeboard.com to find more info), do require the new SAT (or ACT) and might not accept your application. But, I dont know for sure. So I suggest you to take the new SAT and maybe old SAT if you score higher than the new SAT.

Because the new SAT has the writing section, the writing SAT II will be cancelled; for further info, check on collegeboard.com. So I think you dont have to the writing SAT II IF you take the new SAT, but don't rely on this info.

By Fireflyscout (Fireflyscout) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 07:06 pm: Edit

My daughter and I visited several liberal arts colleges this summer, and asked each about the old/new SAT. For the class of 2006,each responded to take both - the highest scores for each section would be used for a composite score. But please note that these are private liberal arts colleges (tier one), and public universities may be different.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page