Self study chem...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Self study chem...
By Keng1 (Keng1) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 12:48 am: Edit

ok i've only taken honors chem and when i took the sat II last june of 2003, i used kaplan and princeton. needless to say, i did not do very well, did not break 600. now, i want to do some self studying. wut books do u recommend, and for this i mean textbooks, not barrons or kaplans or wutever. thnx.

By Smazn (Smazn) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 01:06 am: Edit

chemistry by zumdahl

By Keng1 (Keng1) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 01:09 am: Edit

yeah thats actually a book my school uses for ap chem. are there any others better than that?

By Keng1 (Keng1) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 02:36 am: Edit

bump

By Ecnerwalc (Ecnerwalc) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

I don't know about that book, but my teacher gave me a free copy of Chemistry: the central science to study. I also took H chem this year and didn't get very far. (Didn't even reach acids, electrochemistry, ox-reduction reactions,etc. Yeah, pretty bad) however, I tried to self study and used this textbook and it was good. See if you can check it out at your local library. ISBN: 0130509876

By Blee731 (Blee731) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 10:00 pm: Edit

Yes, I used the central science book by Brown, Bursten, and something. It had all of the topics I needed. Get a review book if you want. Just make sure to get lots of old AP Chem free response portions and a couple multiple choice portions. Then, you are good to go. I did many many old free responses and those DO help. But don't use your own printer to print them as that does cost money...

By Rono_G (Rono_G) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 09:53 am: Edit

as Smazn mentioned - Zumdahl's book is really good. my school used it too, actually when i did the SAT II, i had no knowledge of equilibrium, electrochemistry, kinetics... i still made a 690 though, i used the Barrons Chem.

perhaps had i known my equilibrium, electrochem, i think i could have gotten an 800 or a high 700ish score atleast... i took it right at the begining of my senior year, so yeah, i didn't have much of AP chem in me.

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 04:31 pm: Edit

we used Chang's chemistry... i read a couple chapters out of it, it's really good! but mostly i just paid attention in class

800 sat II, 5 on AP test - both with minimal prep

glhf

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

Zumdahl. My son used it to self study and did great.

By Vtran31 (Vtran31) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 05:50 pm: Edit

straum's I heard is good. From ,hopefully my future, superb Physics teach. I am not sure if I spelled the name right.... sorry

By Daria1000 (Daria1000) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

I don't really know which textbook is good, but I think the best review book is Princeton Review. It assumes you know nothing, so it's impossible to get lost.

By Wrathofgod64 (Wrathofgod64) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 11:35 am: Edit

i self studied chem too. i used zumdahl for the textbook, and arco for the review.
780 sat 2, 5 on ap.

By Zach447 (Zach447) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

Chemistry (6th ed.) by Zumdahl is by far the best.

My school actually uses an older (early 90's book) that isn't too good at all. I had that to go along with a terribly unorganized and unqualified teacher first semester and we quickly fell behind of where we needed to be.

I switched into the only other AP Chemistry class for second semester with a new teacher who was very organized and made learning the subject fun. That class made a decision for everyone to buy a new Chemistry book on their own, the Zumdahl book, as the current book just wasn't quite up to par for an AP Chemistry course.

Needless to say, we did Chapters 10 - 18 (and parts of other chapters) in the 14 weeks or so before the exam. The book has a lot of information that you probably won't need to know, but does a fantastic job with helping you to learn the material, especially in March/April with the Priceton Review crambook.

I know there are other books out there, but from my own experience (and most of the people I've talked to), this book is the best.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page