SAT 2 BOOK HELP!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: SAT 2 BOOK HELP!!
By Cleanfreak (Cleanfreak) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:00 pm: Edit

i hear that mader 8/e is awesome for sat 2 bio

whats good for math 2c and writing....
this is coming from a person who suxxx at writing and grammar....and is aiming for above 700
thanks

By Smkumar0 (Smkumar0) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 11:49 am: Edit

Hey, for the Sat II Biology I would actually recommend the Sparknotes book - it covers almost everything and gives you just enough info to do well on the test. However, you might need to learn some things in more detail, and a great way to do that is through the Kaplan Biology book. But beware, the Kaplan book is very detailed and has a lot of stuff your really don't need to know. So in the end, I'd recommend you study the Sparknotes book and just read from the Kaplan book. Also, it is a very good idea to take the SAT II Bio test after you've taken AP Biology, this will make the test much easier. If you're wondering, the SAT II Bio is less detailed than the AP Bio exam.

For Math IIC, I recommend that you take it after taking Precalculus. Use the Kaplan Math IIC (it has a lot of practice problems) and the Sparknotes Math IIC (it has over 5 tests which you should take). Then, if you have the time, get a book called Princeton Review's "Math Workout for the SAT Math I/IIC". It is made up of all practice problems. I've heard that the Barron Math IIC is good because it is MUCH harder than the actual test, but I've looked at some of the Barron's problems and they're just ridiculous. I'd say that Sparknotes has realistic exams for the SAT Math IIC.

For Writing, I completely recommend the Kaplan SAT II Writing book. It has a section devoted to good writing techniques and grammar. Plus, it has a lot of practice essays and tests. Do all of them.

Sorry for writing such a long post. I did all of the things I said above and managed to get: 800 on Math IIC, 800 on Biology M, and 780 on Writing. And don't worry, I wasn't that good at writing either. If you work with these books and study, you'll break 700 for sure and even have a good chance at getting perfect scores. Hope this helps and good luck.

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 02:02 pm: Edit

This post has nothing to do with me, but wow, what a detailed and thorough response from smkumar. That was very nice of him. If only all CC posters were like that...lol

By Smkumar0 (Smkumar0) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

lol. Thanks for the compliment Mrbesch. Yeah I ended up writing a lot because I was just trying to help out. I was freaking out about the SAT II's also. This site helped me a lot when I was prepping so I figured give something back.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page