Are there Recycled questions on the SAT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Are there Recycled questions on the SAT?
By Stelikepalli (Stelikepalli) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Exactly what the subject says, Does ETS use some questions over again?

By Nike1800 (Nike1800) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 09:33 pm: Edit

Reuse questions? Try asking if they reuse complete tests.

By Justice (Justice) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit

Yes. They reuse tests consistently; in fact there was the Long Island scandal awhile back. A prep agency somehow had given their students the questions before.

By Ecnerwalc (Ecnerwalc) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 09:33 am: Edit

Yes. In fact, on the Chemistry test this past June, quite a few, probably 5, questions were the same as the ones on the 1988 Chem test that I borrowed from my teacher.

By Stonedpanda (Stonedpanda) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 11:14 pm: Edit

Was 1988 released? I don't recall any questions like that?

Anyway, APs reuse the same MC test or VERY similar tests each year untill they are released.

By Chicago (Chicago) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 01:51 am: Edit

As far as the SAT I goes, they might reuse questions, if only by mistake. They have enough people paid to write questions that they should not have a problem.

Yes, the MCs are often very similar.

The real re-use comes on tests like GMATs and MCATs. For the GMAT (not sure on the MCAT procedure since I have not studied for it, nor do I plan to), you have to agree to not share any questions as it is a CAT (computer adaptive test) that requires a huge question bank to operate - it's administred on a computer and your score (excluding the writing section which is worthless anyway) is given immediately. There are a few thousand questions in their database.

I may be completely incorrect, but I remember hearing of a scandal involving Princeton Review where tutors would find ways to write down MCAT questions and then would give them to students in class. I believe they settled out of court.

By Geoguy (Geoguy) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 06:17 am: Edit

I remember about 10 analogies from June's SAT that were lifted off an old test that was included in 10 Real SATs. I kicked myself after noticing that, since I hadn't gone over the ones I got wrong in that section. There were a couple I weren't sure about, but I was too lazy to look them up when I was practicing.

By Ecnerwalc (Ecnerwalc) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 06:30 pm: Edit

I don't know. I got it from a prep book.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page