SAT II Chinese PREP

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: SAT II Chinese PREP
By Prdmite (Prdmite) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 05:02 pm: Edit

Hi, it' me again.
Does anybody know how I can actually prepare for SAT II: Chinese ?? I have found nothing on amazon nor on barnesandnoble.com. The only material I have right now is not even test prep, it's one real test from the REAL SAT IIs book.
Thanks,
dct

By Shaka (Shaka) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 05:30 pm: Edit

if you are chinese, you dun need prep...trust me...its so easy

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

And if you aren't chinese you might as well not take it because the curve as well as the percentiles suck.

By Justice (Justice) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

My advice is that if you need to prep then you probably shouldn't take it. If you are native speaker, the only upside is that it may get you out of certain language requirements. If you are not, unless you are a linguistic genius, you will be at a severe disadvantage.

By Altsuperhero (Altsuperhero) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 06:23 pm: Edit

ask around (your chinese friends) to see if they have their old workbooks and other stuff from Chinese school (or enroll in one)

By Shaka (Shaka) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 06:37 pm: Edit

ok, the questions on that tests are common things people say...so they might have someone ask you where you are from, where you got your tie, who told you what, where is who...

the reading questions were harder, i think even i got one wrong on that...but i still got 800 :-D

By Acethesats (Acethesats) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

ahh if you are chinese don't take it. Native speakers should not take their native language because colleges won't consider it as anything special.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

i would not take it, even though i'm currently taking 3-4 years of mandarin. i know a friend who take it, was a native speaker, and did not want to discuss his score.

By Rippledance (Rippledance) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 06:19 pm: Edit

SAT II Chinese has the worst percentiles of all; 800 = 62%... >.<

By Gxing (Gxing) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

if i'm chinese should i take it, even though i haven't gone to chinese skool in 2 years?

By Conker (Conker) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

If you're Chinese, taking the SAT II Chinese can only hurt you. Colleges claim that they simply ignore language exams taken in a native or near-native language, but I seriously doubt that's true. I have a hunch that they use the SAT II Chinese as a reason to reject otherwise qualified Chinese applicants (and the same is true with Japanese, Korean, Spanish, etc.). So if you're last name is Chinese or resembles any Chinese name, I strongly discourage you from taking the SAT II exam.

By Chatterjoy87 (Chatterjoy87) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 02:33 am: Edit

I don't think it can necessarily hurt you, but it might not help you as much anymore. Some ABC (American Born Chinese) don't speak Chinese, or whatever dialect you want to be specific about, so admissions officers can at least see that you have a certain level of competency in your ancestral language.

By Justice (Justice) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 01:48 pm: Edit

Nah conker's being cynical. It doesn't hurt. It just doesn't help.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

it dont make much sense why it's not impressive for a school to not be impressed by someone who knows 2 languages fluently...who cares where they learned them from

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 03:40 pm: Edit

It does help in California.

By Jerome12345 (Jerome12345) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

i am fluent in chinese, but i cant write or read
do i have a chance at all on the sat chinese
is it just speaking into a recorder, or is it multiple choice too?

By Shaka (Shaka) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

don't take it if you can't read it...there's a whole reading section and it won't be a walk in the park for you

By Conker (Conker) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 11:06 am: Edit

"it dont make much sense why it's not impressive for a school to not be impressed by someone who knows 2 languages fluently...who cares where they learned them from"

You're right. They are (very) impressed by students who know two languages fluently. But if you're taking a language intended for 4th or 5th year students in a language that you know fluently, then you are a grade-grubber. And colleges hate grade-grubbers. That's why I say that they will look DOWN upon an 800 in SAT II Chinese. If I am being cynical, at least I am being realistic as well.

Prove your Chinese ability by submitting articles to the local Chinese newspaper, by achieving high marks at Chinese school, or at least by taking exams intended for those with a high proficiency in the language. Colleges love multilingual students, especially those who speak Chinese, considering China's incredible development. But they hate students who exploit their ethnicity to get a good grade (in this case, an 800).

By Conker (Conker) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 11:12 am: Edit

"Some ABC (American Born Chinese) don't speak Chinese, or whatever dialect you want to be specific about, so admissions officers can at least see that you have a certain level of competency in your ancestral language."

Which is great, but how are the admissions officers supposed to know that? If you get an 800, is it because you came over from China when you were 10, or is it because you learned Chinese and are a natural? I even know ABC's who can speak Chinese at near-native fluency because their parents emphasized it from birth (and IMO, rightly so). I do not know whether colleges hate the SAT II Chinese test specifically, but I do know that they dislike grade-grubbers. I see anyone taking an SAT II Foreign Language exam in their native or second-language as a grade-grubber, and I suspect that many colleges will also.

Xiggi, I've seen some of your posts on this topic. Give 'em a piece of your (sophisticated) reasoning! :)

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

conker, what are these "exams intended for those with a high proficiency in the language" you are referring to?

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

Conker, you covered it very well!

Did you read that they will have an AP Chinese soon?

By Gxing (Gxing) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

Thanks everyone!! I take it that the general idea is that I shouldn't take the SAT 2 Chinese?

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 12:18 am: Edit

Yeah it's probably not a good idea. lol. You could score hella high on another one.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 12:57 am: Edit

uhh guys, what are these higher proficiency tests you speak of?? AP Chinese won't be out for like a couple more years...isnt SAT2 chinese the only thing available to people who want to prove that they have some proficiency in the language?

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

Have you taken classes or is it your native language? Because if it's your native language they KNOW you're proficient. If you've taken classes indicate that. The SAT2 is basically futile because like we said...the curve sucks so you can be nearly fluent and score a 700 in like, a sucky percentile.

By Conker (Conker) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 11:53 am: Edit

"uhh guys, what are these higher proficiency tests you speak of??"

If your school offers IB, you can take Chinese A1 (the equivalent of AP English in Chinese) or Chinese A2 (which is for near-native speakers). There might also be some standardized college-level tests, but I wouldn't know. You could also take a Chinese exam (as in the ones offered in China), but I'm not sure if the government offers those exams to students who are not in the Chinese education system.

Xiggi, I've heard about AP Chinese, and I think that it's a terrible idea. I mean, it's already bad enough when 35% of people score a 5 on AP Spanish. Do we really need an exam where 90% of test-takers will score a 5?

By Prdmite (Prdmite) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 07:09 am: Edit

Hi,
(i'm the guy who created the topic)
Actually i am not a native speaker, i'm a french-american student who lives in France, has double-nationality and speaks fluently english and french, and I have studied german for 6 years and chinese for 4 years. I have been to Beijing with my school for 2 weeks and my chinese is pretty good (1st of my class) but we mostly learn the grammar, and the most important words, and definitely not words like "tie" or "elephant" or "shoelaces".
Therefore it does seem pretty hard to take this test.
Do you think the best idea is to take it and say : "look, i got a 650 so i can compete with the native speakers, and i'm doing something really hard when most of the people who take it are lazy native speakers", or should I just stick with something conventional like physics?

By Prdmite (Prdmite) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 07:10 am: Edit

Also, I can't believe there isn't any prep material for this test? I mean there's ABSOLUTELY nothing available! This sucks. :-)

By Hiya (Hiya) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 06:44 pm: Edit

You should read newspaper articles in ur local chinese newspaper, read ads in the newspaper... just get ur hands on a newspaper....

Okay. Question: If my minor is in International Business with a focus on East Asia, plan to study abroad in china, and i'm an abc (american born chinese) do u think it would be okay to take the Chinese SAT ii without any detriment to my college app?

By Conker (Conker) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit

Hiya, it will be a detriment to your college app because the colleges won't know that you want to do international business. They'll think you're just trying to get the grade. Why do you want to take it anyway? It's not going to prove anything, unless you are specifically applying to a school of international business (and stating your Asian focus). If your school doesn't differentiate between majors, I recommend that you get into college and double major in East Asian Studies and Business.

By Hiya (Hiya) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 01:24 am: Edit

Okay... I had no idea that it was so bad to take Chinese. So would it be just as bad to take both Math IC and IIC??

By Hiya (Hiya) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 02:38 am: Edit

I just did some research and I really believe that it depends on the school as to how SAT IIs are counted. Cornell's application requirements for Industrial and Labor Relations only requires an SAT II in math, so I think they will neglect any others I take. University of Texas at Austin doesn't even require SAT IIs... Not even for the Business Honors Program. Does anyone know about the University of Pennsylvania?? They recommend Math for Wharton, but require 3... And NYU too... the site says that you need 3, but that they strongly recommend writing and "any other two". Maybe as long as you get the required/recommended tests done, you're fine. True or false??

By Hiya (Hiya) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 02:49 am: Edit

Oh and this... from NYU "SAT II examinations are highly recommended but not required. Since they are not required they cannot harm a student in the admissions process." blah... i think i'm still gonna slack and take chinese... It's just Penn that actually requires 3, so in my case, I think I'm fine. *happiness*

By Conker (Conker) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 11:19 am: Edit

Taking Math Ic and Math IIc would be even worse because it would look stupid. It would be just like taking French 2 and French 3 concurrently.

As for NYU, all of the universities claim that an SAT II can never hurt you. But seriously, do you believe that? These are the same people who claim that a bad score (400) won't hurt you either. I have a hunch that someone of Chinese ethnicity taking the Chinese SAT II will be viewed in the same way as someone who gets a 300 or 400 on the SAT II.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page