I havent taken my SAT2's yet!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: I havent taken my SAT2's yet!!!
By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 04:38 pm: Edit

I'm a sophomore...soon to be junior, and I havent taken my sat2's in any subject. Um when do you guys think i should start? O ya and i'm taking the new sat since i will be applying to the UC's and they will only take that new one for my graduating class. I'm not sure if this is correct but i heard if i take the new sat's then i wont have to take the writing sat2's but i'm not sure... O and since i plan on going into history or Poli Sci.. would it be a good idea for me to take the US and World History test? Well any comments are greatly appreciated thanx.

By Ecnerwalc (Ecnerwalc) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 04:57 pm: Edit

It's okay. Take them junior year when you have everything going on at once. take them after you finish a class.

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 05:04 pm: Edit

Thanks Ecnerwalc. But i was wondering.....by the time i finish the class it will be the end of the school yr and then i will have to do all 3 of my subjects during the summer and i still have to take the sat.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

If have good teachers and do well in class, you will need minimal SAT II prep in science and history - take a test from Real SAT II's about a month before to gage where you need help. I would suggest taking 2 in June (especially for a history or science course you have just completed), and two (possibly with a retake, if needed) in October or November of your senior year. This could include Math I or IIC, which you should prep for. You should take the SAT I in January or March of your Junior year. Prep for that for sure.

By Philntex (Philntex) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

well, I'm a rising senior, and I still haven't taken any yet (nor have most of my class). If you can study, don't stress out over it. I'm taking mine in Oct and plan on studying hard enough to not have to take them again. You'll have plenty of time to get everything in before apps are due :)

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Thanx ohio mom that was great advice! But would it really look that bad if i chose not to take a test in science? I really suck at science lol i'm only good at bio and i just dont like science that much...well really at all. If i plan on not going into anything science related.. would it really hurt me?

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

Thanx philntex for the advice!

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 07:22 pm: Edit

bump

By Platinumtlc (Platinumtlc) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Do I HAVE to take SAT2s?
I plan to take ACTs this fall as well as a third try at the SATs! I'll be a senior this fall!

What are the SAT2s used for?

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 09:56 pm: Edit

bump

By Chocoman (Chocoman) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

Im a rising senior and I've yet to take them.

I'm gonna begin prep in late august for the october ones.

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 03:02 pm: Edit

bump

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

Cali -
make a spreadsheet of the schools you are interested in and include SAT II info (which required, recommended, will look at if you have them, etc.) This may be different for SAT and new SAT. When my son did this, he found that most wanted writing +2, others wanted writing+math+science, another wanted any 3, another said they would look at whatever you sent. So, I really can't answer your question about the bio test.

By Zenacolleen16 (Zenacolleen16) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 06:30 pm: Edit

this may be a dumb question, but what's the difference between the 2 math SAT II subject tests? I'm assuming one is harder or something....

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

bump

By Meganc123 (Meganc123) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 01:56 am: Edit

math 2c is harder (goes through precal/trig) but has a nice curve
math 1c is easier but the curve is rough

By Bebere87 (Bebere87) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 11:24 am: Edit

It's best to take your SAT IIs as early as possible so you don't have to worry about them senior year...I was planning to take a bunch in June (of my junior year), but something came up, and I ended up having to postpone until October. :-[ Remember that if you plan to apply early to college, October is generally the latest round of testing that they'll accept before the deadline. As a freshman or sophomore, I would recommend taking the SAT IIs after taking an honors/advanced course, and there are some tests (e.g. Math IAC + IIAC, Writing, Literature) that aren't really based on a single year's curriculum, but on cumulative knowledge. Thus, it's easy to take these in November or December, when you don't have much else to worry about. Choose wisely, because for most schools, you only need 3, so make sure to take lots of practices and only take the test in a subject that you feel very confident in. And just a mention of nostalgia: I miss Score Choice! :'(

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

Thanx megan&Bebere I really appreciate the info.

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 06:58 pm: Edit

bump

By Bebere87 (Bebere87) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 12:22 pm: Edit

Ummm just a heads up for rising juniors (graduating in '06), most colleges are accepting both the new and old SAT I for your class, so you might want to consider studying early and taking the old one (I'm pretty sure the first date for the new one is March). If you're not that confident about your writing/grammar skills, or if you just prefer the original test because it's easier to study for, this would be a wise choice. Best of luck...SATs are a drag...but you'll find after practice that they're relatively conquerable. Hehe, sometimes I even do practices in my 10 Real SATs book for fun when I'm bored.

Oh dear, did I say that out loud?

GOOD LUCK

By Chidimma (Chidimma) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

I'm a rising senior with NO SAT II's. Screwed or what? hahaha

By Bebere87 (Bebere87) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

Not to worry Chidimma, even if you plan to apply early, you've still got 2 shots left to take tests (Oct and Nov). Which means that you can take at most 6 tests. And you only need 3. So study, pick the subjects that you're most comfortable with, and don't worry. I personally only have 1 SAT II score that I'm happy with (g-d bless Score Choice freshman year), and I'm a rising senior, so I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. No biggie. Study hard.

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page