Princeton Review_Is it worth it?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Princeton Review_Is it worth it?
By Atl (Atl) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

Is it really worth spending the money on the Princeton Review and is it worth it can it really raise your score?

By Isabella (Isabella) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 03:54 pm: Edit

That depends on what you need out of your test prep. In general, courses are great for discipline, if you learn well in a classroom setting (or better than you do on your own), if you're not particularly good at standardized tests, or if self-prep just isn't getting you where you want to be. If you're struggling they can absolutely help you crack the SAT. I think courses like Princeton Review's are best for that, but PR apparently also has a souped-up class for people targeting 1400+ scores (you have to have earned at least a 1250 on a previous SAT, I think, to get in that class).

What's your test situation? Maybe if we know more we'll be able to tell you if a course is right for you. Some people do very well on their own, and others do better with a course. There's no absolute "yes they're the cure for everyone" or "no they suck and are a waste of money". I wouldn't listen to anyone who offers a universal opinion - it depends on you and your situation. So do tell, and we'll be able to help you better decide. :-)

FWIW, I used Princeton Review materials for my SAT and would definitely recommend them over others. Excellent strategies and very useful tests with good answer explanations.

By Atl (Atl) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 04:02 pm: Edit

My daughter has taken ACT tests and her best is a 25. She is very bright however as a product of a public school system I think there are just some things she missed over the years. This is why we are hoping to end up around a 29. Is this possible? Please reply

By Isabella (Isabella) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 04:06 pm: Edit

Have the 25s been on practice tests or the real thing? What tests did she take? I think you can get official ones from act.org, and that would be a good place to start. I also have the Cracking the ACT book and thought it was very useful too. If she does have particular weaknesses, though, an ACT tutor might help. But I definitely think it's possible!

By Atl (Atl) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 04:25 pm: Edit

They all have been real tests. Most of her subjects are good except she can improve alot in math.

By Isabella (Isabella) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 04:40 pm: Edit

What grade is she in, then? Her math skills should improve with another year of schooling if she's a soph or junior, but if not, a math tutor would probably help her on the ACT and in high school/college.

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 05:03 pm: Edit

We have the same dilema. My D is a great student about A- with honors and AP's in a competitive HS< She does awful on stand. tests: First ACT 26, then SAT 1210, 650M 560V,She studied math a lot retook ACT, got 31 in math, but science went down to a 21 (from a 25) and she still got a 26. She is very frustrated. Will retake both ACT and SAT in the fall. Any advice on which to focus on, which books.She had some private tutoring but not a full program. Do you think she has a shot of a least a 1280 which is the minimum she wants. She left out a whole section on science and I believe reading as time organization is definetly her weakness. Any thought/advice/comments would be helpul!

By Teal (Teal) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:21 pm: Edit

She definitely has a shot on getting from 1210 to 1280. Most students raise their scores after retaking. Plus she has lots of time to prep
I recommend 10 Real sats for practice after she hasn't already

By Guitarshredder (Guitarshredder) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

For me ACT is all about focusing and patience. It's all pretty easy stuff (with a few exceptions). I bought the Princeton Review book and did a few practice tests to get used to the time constraints and the format. I got a 32 on the practice tests and I got a 32 on the real thing.

By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 12:43 am: Edit

Thanks Teal. Guitarshredder,My S did the same as you on the ACT with only 1 practice test and no studying. It didn't work that way for my D however. She wants to skip the ACT and just take the SAT again but I think she should do both.The ACT doesn't have to be sent so I think it is worth doing both. Some schools will actually take different scores from different test so even if she just studied the science it would help. She feels she has done it twice.I agree with you though as this time she focused on math and got a 31 on it. Her thought is that she could do better by putting all the study time into just the SAT instead of dividing it between the two. I know it is easy for me to give advice as I'm not taking the test.

By Simei (Simei) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 12:53 am: Edit

sounds like your D mostly has trouble w/ science, thou, and the SAT doesn't have a science section. So maybe just focusing on the SAT would be better? just mho thou~

By Curiouskatie (Curiouskatie) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 07:27 am: Edit

I took a Princeton Review couse for the SAT's and it actually helped me a lot. I started out with an 1180 PSAT, scored a 1230 on the first practice test of the couse, and got a 1410 for the real thing (650 M, 760 V). I think it depends on how you learn, but for me, it helped a lot, even thought I'm not a 1600 genious like the rest of y'all.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page