Retake a 730 Writing?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Retake a 730 Writing?
By Dan62887 (Dan62887) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 10:22 am: Edit

I took the SAT II Writing in June and got a 730, and I was pretty disappointed. I had an 80 on the PSAT writing section and I think it was the sample essay that hurt me. Is it worth it to retake a 730, hoping for an 800 or very high 700s? How much of a difference would it make? If it matters, my three highest IIs are US, IIC and BioM (800,760,750), and chem and world history (740, 720) also in there. Thanks.

By Monoe (Monoe) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 12:01 pm: Edit

It depends on which schools you're looking at. Although, I don't think I'd ever retake that - you have plenty of high scores. Chill.

By Isabella (Isabella) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 03:57 pm: Edit

What major are you going for? If it's related to communications or something else that's heavy on writing and analysis, retake. If you're going more for quant or engineering or science, I wouldn't bother. Unless it's going to eat at you that you didn't do better. Regret sucks.

By Dan62887 (Dan62887) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 05:50 pm: Edit

I'm probably going to major in political science or possibly english, both of which would be heavy on writing. I'm aiming for some of the Ivies and a few LACs, so i guess I'm leaning toward a retake. Thanks for the input.

By Teal (Teal) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:18 pm: Edit

You should if you can get it considerably higher.
10 points more would not be worth your time or money :)

By Jangel86 (Jangel86) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 05:18 pm: Edit

Last June I took the writing and got a 680 on it. I retook this June and got a 780 without any prep. But anything above a 700 is fine for colleges more or less

By Legendofmax (Legendofmax) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 05:41 pm: Edit

test

By Aquaholic (Aquaholic) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 07:13 pm: Edit

Congratulations!

-I know UVA requires a 720 or above to get exempt from freshman writing, so I would expect other highly competitive schools would be operating in the same ball park and not much higher. If I were you I wouldn't go through the stress of taking it again when it probably wouldn't make a difference even if you did improve your score.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page