I really need help on SAT I Math....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: I really need help on SAT I Math....
By Alotor (Alotor) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 07:39 am: Edit

Hey guys. I really need help on SAT I Math. Everytime I practice on 10 reals my score is usually around 1200s, with my verbal topping 710+ everytime but my math never topples above 540+. What can I do or what book can I buy that will help me with math? By the way, I'm also taking the new SAT which unfortunately has Algebra 2 :(

By Trigulater127 (Trigulater127) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 10:26 am: Edit

Mmmm, I don't know about the new SAT coming out, but I do know that many people have recommended the Gruber's SAT book for Math, I hope that helps!

By Cavalier302 (Cavalier302) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 01:51 pm: Edit

Hey Alotor I have a really good piece of advice: buy the Princeton Review's SATII math review, and do the whole thing. Also buy Kaplan's SAT math workbook. Do all of it. I'm pretty good with math (750m on SAT1) but in going through those two books in trying to up my score by october, I've found a lot of really good stuff. The SATII book is a very good review of algebra stuff from the SAT1 and even has a lot of the same kind of problems. I'd bet you $50 that if you did both of the books I suggested, you'd see an increase of 100+ points in your math.

By Alotor (Alotor) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 02:13 pm: Edit

Thanks for the suggestions guys

By Isabella (Isabella) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 04:20 pm: Edit

I've also heard Gruber's is really good for math.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 05:43 pm: Edit

Gruber's has a lot of practice problems, that's why people like it for math. The best way to get better at math is to keep doing problems.

By Flchagani (Flchagani) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 07:00 pm: Edit

Tip from a guy who got an 800 on the SAT I Math:

Well, there are a lot of ways to approach it. It seems like you're the verbal person. I think the best thing to do is to PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. As they say, PERFECT practice makes perfect. I used Gruber's and Barron's Math Workbook (the verbal one sucks, but the math one really teaches everything that could be asked on the SAT Math). But if you have other books, use them too! As for the new SAT, I saw an Arco book for the new SAT at Barnes and Noble the other day. Check it out at any bookstore-and invest in a good book (or books)! It may cost 30-40 bucks now, but think of how much opportunity you will have to gain acceptance from more schools. Hope this helps :)

PS-You could also just borrow books from the library or your friends, but I prefer to write in the books. Its just me

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 04:33 pm: Edit

Find problems that are hard for you, and solve them. Do lots of puzzles, which are sort of like math problems. Play chess. Soon, you'll see things in better ways and you can get at least 650 in math.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page