ACT vs SAT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: ACT vs SAT
By Jlaws30 (Jlaws30) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

Here's the deal. I got a 29 on my ACT and a 1210 on my SAT. I will likly apply to UC schools next fall. If i were to take each test again, I feel that I am more likly to get a 30 or more on the ACT than getting above a 1300 on the SAT. So which test do you think I should take next fall? For UC schools anyway.

By Msl617 (Msl617) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 10:54 pm: Edit

for the UC schools it is better to have SATs but the ACT is becoming more and more acceptable. A 29 on your ACT is MUCH better than a 1210 though so that is your decision

By Drusba (Drusba) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

Not true that it is better to have SAT for UC's; they take either and have no preference; in fact,periodically they have considered scrapping the SAT (which many in the administration of the UC's think should be scrapped) and requiring the ACT or just SAT II's. The compromise that has existed for several years is that they now place more emphasis on the SAT II's for admission. If you believe you can get a higher score on the ACT then you should consider taking it again.

By Smokejaguar (Smokejaguar) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 12:33 am: Edit

right on , screw SAT

By Esperanza (Esperanza) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 02:16 am: Edit

hey i'm from canada and was wondering what the difference between AP and SAT IIs are. i'm going to be taking APs next year, but if i want to take a shot at getting into a US school, will i be needing to take 3 SAT IIs like the other kids?

By Ledyana (Ledyana) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 07:02 am: Edit

it depends on the university.. some uni dont need sat 2

By Drusba (Drusba) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 09:04 am: Edit

AP's are not a requirement for admission anywhere, although top schools expect to see some on your transcript if the courses are available at your high school. SAT II's are required for admission at about 50 colleges-- ivies, many Northeast and east US schools, all University of California, and some others. Otherwise the vast majority of colleges do not require SAT II's and most of them won't even consider them for admission. You should check with each college to which you intend to apply to determine actual requirements. Those that do require II's often require three and then a number of that group require two of them to be writing and a math -- beginning with high school class of 2006, the SAT II writing requirement will be eliminated at schools that require II's because it is being added to the SAT and those schools are still determining whether they will then require two rather three SAT II's (UC's have already determined it will be two).

By Esperanza (Esperanza) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 12:52 pm: Edit

ah. thanks a lot

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page