GPA-3.99 or 4.0?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: GPA-3.99 or 4.0?
By Smartgirl (Smartgirl) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

My friend has average GPA of 3.99, and she claims it to be 4.0 because she has to round it off. Is this true? Or is it still 3.99?

By Neolinski (Neolinski) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

depend on her high school.

By Rbc13 (Rbc13) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

Assuming it's weighted: You must round GPA's to at least the hundredth to make it reasonable. Otherwise, it leads doubts as to your true GPA. On our transcript, you don't round off GPA by tenth, unless your school is weird, so she is pulling some yellow journalism by stretching the truth a bit. But as long as she doesn't add another significant figure, then technically its correct to say. It is like this: Are you lying to your friend if you don't tell her that you kissed her boyfriend?

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 11:38 pm: Edit

flame post i hope

By Sandwraith (Sandwraith) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

Are you lying to your friend if you don't tell her that you kissed her boyfriend?

i was with Rbc13 until he cranked that line out.
what's it mean!?
seriously ... wtf?

By Feuler (Feuler) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 01:07 am: Edit

I suppose technically 3.99 is 4.0 if you only put two digits. However, it would seem to me that "four point oh" is used as a title to describe a transcript in which there are only A's, rather than a number.

Technically I suppose, if someone says they have a "four point" (as many abbreviate it), they could have a GPA as low as 3.50, since they are only giving one digit and specifying by use of the decimal that it is not exact.

On the other hand, if you get, say, 99.6 percentile on a test, you can't round up and say you got 100th percentile. I guess that's a different situation though.

Damn I feel like such a nerd having made this post.

By Stonedpanda (Stonedpanda) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 02:32 am: Edit

I'm with sandwraith.

"It is like this: Are you lying to your friend if you don't tell her that you kissed her boyfriend?"

It isn't like that at all. If you omit that you kissed her boyfriend, then it is a lie by omission.

Anyway, for all intents and purposes (to me at least) a 3.99 is a 4.0. What's the difference? One A-? The difference between a 92.4 and a 92.45?

By Smartgirl (Smartgirl) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

so she has GPA of 4.0? not 3.99?

By Smartgirl (Smartgirl) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

so she has GPA of 4.0? not 3.99?

By Smartgirl (Smartgirl) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 02:40 pm: Edit

bump

By Smartgirl (Smartgirl) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 03:13 pm: Edit

bump

By Mattman (Mattman) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

let her call it a 4.0 if it's a 3.99. She can call it a 4.0 if she has a 3.95 for all that anyone really cares.

By Monoe (Monoe) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 04:13 pm: Edit

3.99 cannot equal 4.0. This would make class ranks too hard to calculate. If 3.99 equals 4.0, then 3.95 also equals 4.0. In my class of less than 60 students, the top five students are separated by less than .1 GPA points. Rounding to the nearest tenth would create a tie; I cannot imagine this practice in schools that are bigger (which I know many and most schools are).

By Shannon05 (Shannon05) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 04:14 pm: Edit

who cares

By Altsuperhero (Altsuperhero) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 06:15 pm: Edit

shannon cared enough to post
and i cared enough to waste another post

the weight systems vary so much from school to school that colleges can't blindly compare gpa's - even though they do

By Mattman (Mattman) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 02:35 am: Edit

I assume of course this is for a college form or something, not calculating class rank. At my school the graduating class is around 300 and rank is always carried out to the fourth decimal. However, if the #1 and #5 people wanted to say they had a 4.0 when it really ranged from a 4.0000 to a 3.9647 then sure, why not?

By Feuler (Feuler) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 04:00 am: Edit

Wow, I didn't know GPAs could get that specific at other schools... we just get letter grades with no plus/minus. As a result, we had around 25 4.0s in a class of litte over 400 this year, and they all get to put down first in their class on apps. Not a bad deal for them, but sucks for the people who get one B in 9th grade and drop hella class ranks (I knew one guy who got a 4.0 except for a B in Traffic Ed, haha).

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

Yeah...my school's ranking is based off unweighted GPA's....so we have like 10 4.0's....and half of them took super easy classes (some did their first AP's during senior year)....some students that challenged themselves and took AP's....and got like 1 or 2 B...rest A's...ended up ranking out of the top 10. I just find it ironic that some of our #1 ranked people took easier classes (such as taking zero AP's during freshman, soph and junior year) than those ranked below them.

By Mattman (Mattman) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 07:05 pm: Edit

It just goes to show that class rank isn't everything. At my school I climbed to the top ten because I took a huge amount of AP classes (I believe a school record of nine in three years) and they give +8 on a 100-point scale. To be in the top ten one would either have to make extremely good grades in honors classes or take a minimum of 3-4 APs.

By Feuler (Feuler) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 08:43 pm: Edit

The other problem with class rank, it seems to me, would be differences between teachers. We have two AP US History teachers, one of whom gives probably nearly half As, whereas it is unusual for two out of 60 of the other's kids to have grades over 85%. It's OK in the end because both teachers change your grade to an A if you get a 4+ on the AP, but if we did GPAs based on percent in the class, it would be horribly unequal.

Do schools that do percent GPAs have more rigid grading guidelines? I've heard of classes where teachers give extra credit for all sorts of stuff, and people with hella time (read: no life) have been able to get grades like 115%- it seems like if percent grades mattered, teachers would have to keep that under control somehow.

By Gxing (Gxing) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 01:09 pm: Edit

while it varies by schools, i personally don't consider 3.99 a 4.0. I know some schools that go as far as the thousandth place when computing gpas. As far as that one-hundreth of a point is concerned, it doesn't matter much. However, it is more aesthetically pleasing to have a 4.0 than a 3.99.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page