Verbal Help Please!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Verbal Help Please!
By Shoo_Shakin (Shoo_Shakin) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 08:55 pm: Edit

hi, I wanted to increase my verbal score by a lot, i had a 560 and i want to make at least 650...can anyone tell me how, because i studied a whole stack of vocabulary, and apparently it didn't do much. so any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

By Neolinski (Neolinski) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

there is a lot of thread about this. (current SAT)

And at the last of all thread, i think, i concluded this two things are essential.
vocab skills(vocab list + reading), practice a lot.

I am in very same situation(worse than your score) like you
and i want to boost it even up to 700.
i know it seems so not possible but i am trying.
right now(i just started to study), i am memorizing vocabs.

good luck on your studying and SAT.

p.s : the fact that "a whole stack of vocabulary" didnt help you, surprised me.. um.

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 02:13 am: Edit

Read. Anything, anytime. Also study stems/roots/prefixes/sufixes they will help you decipher words you don't know without having to memorize lengthy lists.

By Physiclas87 (Physiclas87) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

Memorize memorize memorize words.
I heard Barron's SAT prep book has an awesome 3500 word list that I am going to memorize. If you know almost every word on your SAT, how could you do bad?

By Encomium (Encomium) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

I can offer tips:

1. Use Sadlier-Oxford Vocab Books, do the exercises, and memorize the definitions. Then, use the words in your own sentences.
2. Read some books. They don't have to be classics necessarily, but they should be good. Middlesex, a book I finished a week ago, just came out, and had tons of advanced vocabulary, but was a great story. Of course, difficult literature will help you as well.
3. Take practice tests.
4. Buy via www.audible.com or iTunes, or amazon Word Smart I, II and Genius Edition audio recordings. They go through words and tell you what they mean and such. It helps quite a bit, is entertaining, and with reading and Sadlier-Oxford, will help your vocab immensely.

Vocab is just a small component. You also have to understand syntax and sentence structure...studying a language can help this.

I'm by no means an expert (750 Verbal) but these are some tidbits of advice.

By Neolinski (Neolinski) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

Encomium, would you answer me some of questions i have?

for #2, what about lord of the rings ? lol -0-
for #3, how often? any recommendation on frequency?
for #4, i am so interested in audio stuff. could you give me more detail?
is WordSmart.com totally different from PR's Word Smart?

Thanks

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page