SAT II's: Tips? Best Prep Books? *HELP!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: July 2004 Archive: SAT II's: Tips? Best Prep Books? *HELP!!!
By Mcheng331 (Mcheng331) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 11:06 am: Edit

Hi! How is everyone? I have some questions and everyone seems so informed on prep books.

I'm going to be taking Writing/Math IIC/Physics(?) I guess in October 2005 and I need to start prepping. I was just wondering which book you guys felt helped you the most. I have Sparknotes for Math IIC and Physics right now, and PR for Chemistry. I was reading other convos and I got the best:

Writing: Princeton Review?
Math IIC: Barrons? and PR?
Physics: ??????

I have a 1430 on the SAT now (630V, 800M) I'm hoping they don't look too heavily on my verbal since I'm not going into ANY field with writing/lit. So, I'm really anxious about the SAT II, since I really need to do well on them. (I suck at writing/verbal/grammar, etc. *asian* lol) does any1 have ANY tips at ALL for the Writing SAT II?!?!

Thanks so much everyone

By Studyguy346 (Studyguy346) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 07:33 pm: Edit

October 2005? Do you mean October 2004, this October? If it really is October 2005, you have PLENTY of time.

By Mcheng331 (Mcheng331) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:15 am: Edit

2004 HAHA

By Isabella (Isabella) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

For Writing definitely get the PR book. It rocks. For help on grammar, use your high school English textbook or get Grammar Smart.

By Joshjmgs (Joshjmgs) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 11:43 pm: Edit

IIc, barrons and your pre-calc book (to fill in the gaps) is sufficient

Physics, NOT SPARKNOTES

By 007 (007) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 03:29 am: Edit

how's the Kaplan Writing Book??

By Smkumar0 (Smkumar0) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 12:29 pm: Edit

The Kaplan Writing book is great. It has lots of essays and practice essays. Plus, it has two sections completely devoted to developing your writing and grammar skills. I used the Kaplan Writing book and managed to pull off a 780. Hope this helps, good luck!

By Number9 (Number9) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

I've got the Kaplan book and Barrons book for writing. I am making my way through Kaplan, and it is very helpful. I recommend it.

By Iplayoboe (Iplayoboe) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 03:04 pm: Edit

i use barrons for everything, SAT, SAT II, AP... they really cover the material in depth, and because their practice tests are so hard, it makes taking the real tests a lot more relaxing. I tried Sparknotes and i didnt like the way they were set up at all. Barrons rocks

By Hewashere (Hewashere) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

writing, iic: barrons
physics: princeton review and shaum's outlines for college physics

By Missj (Missj) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

hi. i agree- barron's and kaplan for SAT2writing. practice writing the 20min essay often and perhaps have a basic idea of what examples you're going to use but just shape it to go with the topic.

i'm not sure about SAT2math2c but probably not just sparknotes =P my friends who took it all used barron's. hm but they said it overprepares you...which is good i guess...but does anyone else think another prep book is better or more accurate? or barron's is good. thanks for anyone's help!

as for physics i don't know but i would say sparknotes isn't your best choice. heh.

GOOD LUCK! =)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page