SATII writing help!! Good Book?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: SATII writing help!! Good Book?
By Iqbu7 (Iqbu7) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 07:32 pm: Edit

I really bombed it, 580, yeh i dont know how. I got an 800 on MATHIIC and a 700 on Bio M, as well as a 1500 on SATs (800 m 700 v). Anyone know of any good review books for the SATII writing? Thanks in advanced.

By Shaman88 (Shaman88) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 07:49 pm: Edit

I got a 780 on Writing by reviewing tips from Kaplan's and Peterson's. Know the rules that each book gives. I knew exactly what I was going to write about even before I went into the test center. I wrote about changes throughout the history of Sudan. If you have a broad knowledge of a certain topic, it really helps. Just take the multiple choice sections for practice giving yourself forty minutes per practice MC section.

By Emmittsmith (Emmittsmith) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

Both freshman and sophomore year, without any studying whatsoever, I got 550 writing's on the PSATs. I studied most of Barron's, took the test in January, and got a 650 (the protctor didn't announce times and I didn't have a watch so I had to leave the last 10 questions blank).

After studying Barron's (reading more or less the whole thing + taking all of its practice tests), reading the writing chapter in Up Your Score (only 20 pages or so, I'm not sure if this helped much, but I'm letting you know what I did), and taking all of the online sparknotes writing tests (there are 5 I think), I got a 770 this year in June.

Good luck, and I really don't consider myself a good writer, so I'm sure you will do fine!

Emmitt

By Ecnerwalc (Ecnerwalc) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 10:34 am: Edit

Get barron's and maybe kaplan. I was really worried about writing because I've never done in class essays before. (The time factor) So I got kaplan about two years ago. messed up on every essay and MC. I probably got an 8 or 9 max on essays. Then about two weeks before the actual test in June, I bought the barron's sat ii writing book on line. I spent the remaining time reading through the book but didn't get to the last 4 tests in the book. Still got a 760. (60 on PSAT this year. )
I agree with shaman, you need to know grammar rules and barron's give you that. For writing essays, I would recommend reviewing some events that are broad in scope. That is, an event that fits into almost any topic. For me, it was the the Grapes of WRtath, some history topics, and other stuff.

By Iqbu7 (Iqbu7) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit

ahh, good to know, thanks

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page