Can you help me try somthng new

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Can you help me try somthng new
By Collegewannabe (Collegewannabe) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 12:16 pm: Edit

hey i need help

ive tried the SATs studied my butt off and got a 1200 560-verbal 640 math

then a 1240-580 verbal -660 math

im sick of them i cant bring it up

im taking the sat2s in oct

i think its time i try the ACTS

can you help me get started

what books are good?
what classes are good?
can i study just from books?

By Collegewannabe (Collegewannabe) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 01:10 pm: Edit

please helpp

By Isabella (Isabella) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

I would take a prep course like Princeton Review or something. If you really can't raise it by studying on your own, that would be your best bet.

By Htown1398 (Htown1398) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 03:50 am: Edit

Hey, again, I've posted my philosophy so many times on this forum. Look, I went from a 970 to a 1110 to a 1220. Seriously, if you have the RIGHT mentality, you CAN get a kickass score. ••••, I am not satisfied with my 1220 even. This summer I am studying my ass off for a 1450+. Seriously, have faith in yourself. If you don't have faith in yourself, then in whom will you have faith in!? I mean really, everyone is capable, they just give up too soon. And belive me, I STUDYING MY GODDAMN ASS OFF! And yet, I am not discouraged with the 1220. Work work work! Nothing is free! BTW the ACT is all crap, no one likes it, and it's harder, in my opinion. Imagine you have 40 minutes and 75 question infront of you to answer, yeah, that's how annoying it is!

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 06:57 am: Edit

for verbal? Not that I'm an example (evidently I hate capitalizing sentences): read a lot, speak a lot, post here a lot....all with as correct english as you can.In other words, start living SAT standard English, and you'll see the benefits on the real thing (and for the SAT II Writing as well).
A 1240 score could be helped by some vocabulary work, i think? Again, incorporate the words into your everyday speech to retain them best.
The above are long-term solutions, and you're taking them in Oct, so *also* (as already suggested by previous posters) practice, practice, practice ANY papers you can get your hands on. I've never believed in tutors, but perhaps, yes, a crash course might help.

In the end, remember that the SAT is only one factor. Keep it in perspective and don't let obsessions over it hurt other aspects like the SAT IIs, your ECs, your grades, your teacher recs...

best of luck!

By Ecnerwalc (Ecnerwalc) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 10:40 am: Edit

Hey, I'm sick of the SAT also. I studied for hte ACT and did pretty well, I think. Should know my scores soon. A change is good for you.

By Jlaws30 (Jlaws30) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

I took the SAT, studied for about 5 hours total and got a 1210

Took the ACT without studying at all and got a 29 which is about a 1300 depending on who you ask.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page