Stray Marks on SAT....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Stray Marks on SAT....
By Amerameen (Amerameen) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 06:47 pm: Edit

Ok, I took the June SAT 1. It was my first time. What I did was, when there were questions I wanted to refer back to, when I completed a section, I put a little star to the left of the number of the answer sheet. My score was a lot lower than I had expected...do you think these stray marks could have affected the way the machine scored it? Do you advise me to pay the extra money (which could be a total waste) and find out? Have stray marks ever been a big issues with scores?

By Falcoboy77 (Falcoboy77) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 09:02 pm: Edit

Did you erase the marks before you turned it in?

By Isabella (Isabella) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 09:19 pm: Edit

If I were you I would pay to have it hand scored, and then I would never do that again with the stray marks! Use your scratch paper to keep track of that stuff.

By Imaya70 (Imaya70) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Ops, me too. I took the chem SATII and got only a 710. When I took it in May I got a 760 and was disappointed that I did not get an 800. However I did circle about 15 questions on the test and never erased those circles before turning it in. I found the test extremely easy and therefore donít believe that I would have gotten such a low score.

By Amerameen (Amerameen) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 03:55 pm: Edit

bump

By Amerameen (Amerameen) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

BUMP
c mon, someone on CC has to have some experience with this!

By Mazzinator333 (Mazzinator333) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

I did not make such stray marks before, although I did have erasures on one test. I called ETS, and the woman who answered said that in the close to 100 years that they have been offering the hand scoring service, they have only changed one person's score. She was like, "Maybe you will be number two."

Now, while I believe this woman to be totally off her rocker, the machines that ETS use to score their exams are not regular scantron machines, which would probably ignore those marks. I guess it all depends on how large your marks were, and if they interfered with the answer choices, and only you know that.

I would say, if you have the 25 dollars, and don't want to have to take it again, pay the fee and get it hand-scored. I know that it's expensive, but it could give you that rise in score that you are looking for, which is probably worth more (then having to re-register, study, take it, etc.). Plus, you would have it in time for the admissions season.

IMAYA70-
Sometimes, if a test is extremely easy, ETS curves it appropriately. Therefore, if the June exam was very easy, and you missed even 3 or 4 of those questions that you circled, your score could drop significantly, compared to the May exam, which might have been more difficult, and therefore curved appropriately. The curve is made to allow people to compare various editions of their test, but not necessarily to apply the same curve to various editions, as they are at different difficulty levels.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page