Has anyone used Up Your Score?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Has anyone used Up Your Score?
By Emmittsmith (Emmittsmith) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Hey.

I am just looking into SAT prep books.
I read a little bit of Up Your Score... I was wondering if anyone here has an opinion on it?

Thanks,
Emmitt

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 08:11 pm: Edit

I'm going to use it this summer for CR. I hear it is a really good book, but I have only looked at it a little bit so far.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

Very interesting read. But don't put to much mind to it, some strategies in it are misleading. But still it is a very interesting read. Lol

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 08:54 pm: Edit

Well that doesn't really help now does it! Crap. Is it ok for CR at least?

By Tired_Student (Tired_Student) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

I used it. Its alright sometimes but very garbage other times. Like the tip where it says that if you have 3 or more same choices in a row, somethign must be wrong because ETS would never do that. WHAT BS IS THAT

By Gostanford (Gostanford) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 11:44 pm: Edit

no it is true - its actually 4 - but ets has never put more than 4 of the same answers in a row.

By Sandwraith (Sandwraith) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 01:09 am: Edit

i used Up Your Score and it sucks ... the vocab section is entirely off (don't think they had a single word on the test from that list!)

in my opinion they go too much for laughs and in the process neglect the material
--------------------
| DON'T USE IT! |
--------------------

By Tired_Student (Tired_Student) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 01:25 am: Edit

Seriously, if one were to take that book seriously and just use it alone, unless that individual is a very good test taker, s/he will not score higher then a 1400. That books does not give any practice, and its strategies are very lacking. The only strong point is its vocabulary, which they took from old SATs which will rarely appear again.

Spend the 10 bucks if you wish and laugh about the SATs, but do it for yourself to get a real prep book.

suggestions

10 Real SATs
Amazon.com: 10 Real SATs (serial)
Princeton Review Cracking the SATs
Kaplan Verbal Workbook (extra practice)
Kaplan Math Workbook (extra practice)
Kaplan 1600 on Amazon.com (Its like 3 bucks and it gives some more practice)

Look up and try and learn any words you dont know. Most will not show up on the SATs, but if a few do, it will help so much in deciding the right answer. Even having the feeling that a word is negative can help.

--------------------------------------------------------
Please Take My Advice If You Are Struggling With The SATs
---------------------------------------------------------

By Mahajan2005 (Mahajan2005) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 02:38 am: Edit

I used up your score, and scored ok...but remember, up your score is a supplement. the math section is unrefined crap...the vocab worked surprisingly well...it really teaches you as an extra.

my suggestions:
buy 10 real
read barrons cover to cover, esp. vocab, memorize EVERY WORD: this will help you in more than the SATs (i dont think sats measure knowledge, but prepping for them does make you smarter in vocab)
read up your score if you have time.

By Wackicracka (Wackicracka) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

I have it! I think thought of it as a motivator, but never really adopted it's principles. I did use some of the tips that seemed to make sense, but never really STUDIED from it. Use it for a good laugh and maybe for a few references.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Good vocab list, it uses humor to make it easier to memorize. It's a good book for reducing stress.

By Sticksandstones (Sticksandstones) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

I found it really stupid. It's a book written by kids who scored near perfect/perfect on their SAT's telling low score kids to not worry about the SAT. Sure, they dont have to worry about it; they dont even give that much advice, devoting their time on telling the reader how to bubble in correctly.

The fictional stories 'bout the Evil Testing Serpent were amusing but that was it. I wouldn't count on it as a substitution for a prep book like PR or kaplan.

By Isabella (Isabella) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 09:23 pm: Edit

That's odd...I'd always heard it was good! Oh well.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

It is good, depending on how you use it. Up Your Score + 10 Reals is a good idea.

By Neolinski (Neolinski) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 11:13 pm: Edit

I am a "beginner" for sat prep thing, and i think up your score is good way to start off. (i bought this book for half of its price from used market :-)

I am speically dumb on vocabs and verbal section in general.
and I think their vocab list is definitely better than dry boring list.
(if you are vocab-god, it's not a book for you)

BYE!

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 02:15 am: Edit

I LOVED IT! I didn't study math at all, but I thought the vocab was good (I went up 120 points in verbal (to 800) after this book). I think I would agree that Ten Reals + Up Your Score would be good. I could have never used any other book though, because i have an incredibly short attention span. It was a really good read, especially the "suicide doodle method".

By Sulskman (Sulskman) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:08 am: Edit

It didn't help at all. I had a 1310 and brought it since I was depressed and wanted to break 1400. I read it and went up 10 pts in verbal to 1320. A lot of hype, but little substance.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page