Help! For Verbal!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Help! For Verbal!
By Kingroger317 (Kingroger317) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 12:40 pm: Edit

Hello i am in DIRE need of improving my SAT VERBAL section.. i know for reading you need practice and learn strategies, but WHat should i do for vocabulary?
What are the best books to buy to memorize all vocab?? I am getting a 600 now and want to push to 700+. Please tell me all books that would be beneficial to memorize! thxs!

By Amitoman (Amitoman) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 01:33 pm: Edit

If you would have searched through this message board just a tiny bit, you would have had answers hours ago.

By Kingroger317 (Kingroger317) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

well you could help me out?
plus when i search for like "best vocab memorization books" even really specific there seems to be 1000 pages that pop up.
so could someone just please help me

By Stanford_08 (Stanford_08) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

If you have time, I would suggest reading some books of literary merit, which you can find on most AP English lists (check collegeboard.com). Look up words that you don't know and try to incorporate them into your vocabulary. If you have less time, check out some of the SAT strategy in the Priceton Review books, I found that helpful. Good Luck

By Davidn08 (Davidn08) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Lists: barrons, gruber, princeton review, kaplan, sparknotes (sparknotes.com), soundkeepers.com, freevocabulary.com....
also: "wordsmart" is this thing that you can order for improving vocab a lot... they guarrantee a 100pt-improvement in your verbal score (if your initial score is under 650)... its expensive, but 100pts is a lot, and if you dont get 100pts, then you get the money back. (PS. if you get it, email me dnachumd@hotmail.com)

there are others too... you could easily compile a list of 10,000 words if you wanted to... and you have over 100 days till the next SAT, so start doing 100 per day now.

be extremely familiar with all the roots, and learn all the strategies. that's much more important than the words.

also, read a lot. read NYtimes every day (have it sent to your email), they have really good vocab, and if you see words both on lists and in what you read, the words will completely stick.

By Nel0305 (Nel0305) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Do any of you guys think wordsmart can be of any help for the sat verbal section?

By Amylase (Amylase) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 08:39 pm: Edit

I recommand you buy this book "developing critical reading skills, by spears" the entire book is devoted to critical reading strategies with sample passages. It is actually a college test on critical reading.

By Nel0305 (Nel0305) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 09:54 am: Edit

if anyone gets wordsmart vocabulary, please email me also nvNelly03@hotmail.com ,thanks

By Elizabeth22 (Elizabeth22) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 09:59 am: Edit

Try Princeton Review's hit parade.

By Isabella (Isabella) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 09:32 pm: Edit

Word Smart is not expensive! It's 12 bucks! Are you talking about the Princeton Review book? I have their Word Smart book and it has a great list, and good techniques for learning new words. I haven't gotten Hit Parade so I don't know how they're different, but I would definitely recommend Word Smart.

By Kingroger317 (Kingroger317) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

uhh wordsmart program seems to be like $400 for the set?
what is the $12 thing u speak of

By Geoguy (Geoguy) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 09:52 pm: Edit

Word Smart, the book, costs $12.

By Isabella (Isabella) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Oh, I didn't know there was a software program too. I'm surprised Princeton Review hasn't gone after them for copyright infringement on the name. That's confusing!

By Dukedreamer (Dukedreamer) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

Does anyone know if the guarantee is for all 4 sets? or just the first part?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page