High scorers in SAT II Chem...Study plan for my summer?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: High scorers in SAT II Chem...Study plan for my summer?
By Happeepanda (Happeepanda) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 01:50 am: Edit

I have taken one year of IB Chem (in sophomore year) and now it is the summer before my senior year. I never really had a GOOD grasp of chemistry but managed an A both semesters of the class. What would you suggest as a plan of study for taking the SAT II Chemistry test in November?? What books should I use and how should I use them? Someone on another conversation post thingy said that they used Princeton Review for an overall study and then Barron;s to fill in the details. Another said that they used Barron's in conjunction with Kaplan. Which of these are the best? Any other suggestions??

I would highly appreciate any and all advice!! Thanx...

By Thunder77 (Thunder77) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 09:08 am: Edit

IT's different for everybody

Which is why you should see for yourself what you like

I personally don't like Princeton Review because its lacking a lot of stuff and I feel like I'm just reading what I know already.

If you ask me, I'll go for Barrons alone and read what you don't remember.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 09:53 am: Edit

Do you have to take chemistry - have you had bio or physics more recently?

By Ctgirl (Ctgirl) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

I would do a full review of a Barron's book, and then do all of the practice exams in there, as well as practice exams from other books. When you're doing the practice exams, don't try to do them within the time limit and without using the book - take as much time as you need using all of your resources to make sure you understand the questions. The more tests you do, the more you'll be familiar with the problems, and you'll notice that many of the questions are the same from test to test. Do a few timed tests without any resources before the actual test just to get used to the time constraint, and don't freak out if you get low scores on Barron's! I kept getting under 80%, and I got an 800.

By Happeepanda (Happeepanda) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 03:09 am: Edit

Yah, I'll just get the Barron;s book.

Ohio Mom, I have taken IB Biology just this year, but I really need to to take SAT II Chemistry because I would love to be part of the Honors Program in Medical Education at Northwestern University!!!! (They require SAT II's in Writing, Math IIC, and Chemistry)

I took the Biology SAT II already and I got 620
!!! That was terrible!! (But I didn;t study at all.)

Thanx for your input guys! I've decided on Barron's! (I hope I can get a good score!)

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 06:51 pm: Edit

Guess you do have to take chemistry. Good luck and study hard!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page