Spanish vs. Spanish w/ Listening SAT II

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Spanish vs. Spanish w/ Listening SAT II
By Bethlikesun (Bethlikesun) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

I'm just finishing my junior year and Spanish is my best class. I'm in honors, and I have a 96 for the year. Would you recommend me for the Spanish or Spanish w/ Listening SAT II? If Spanish w/ Listening--should I take it the Nov. of my junior year if I plan on applying early action senior year? I'm interested in The Georgetown SFS. Thanks.

By Jangel86 (Jangel86) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 10:57 pm: Edit

Be careful with the language SAT II's. Generally native speakers take them, so the curves and percentages are very harsh.

Just to put this in perspective, this year was my 5th year of spanish, honors every year, with no grade less than a 98. This year I took a class equivalent to AP, and the teacher said that I am very close to being fluent. Next year, as a senior, I will be taking two 3000 level (= 3rd year college) Spanish courses at a university affiliated with my high school.

I only got a 650.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 11:29 pm: Edit

"I'm just finishing my junior year and Spanish is my best class. I'm in honors, and I have a 96 for the year."

Oh ho ho, sounds very similar to where I was last June 5th. Five years including the introductory year of Spanish under my belt, feeling way too confident.

650 for me as well. :P

By Happeepanda (Happeepanda) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 12:56 am: Edit

but...what about the listening part of the test? is it a good thing to take the listening? I can understand most Spanish as it comes now, without having to process it, so what is your opinion...(anyone)

By Cmg_Ridley (Cmg_Ridley) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 01:27 am: Edit

i think it depends on how much you really really care about the language. i've taken spanish 1-5 in a public high school and a writing in spanish course in the virtual high school. i've gotten A+s in them all, but grades aren't what i think reflects the sat 2 scores. i fell in love with the language in spanish 1, and i think my passion for it is why i excel. when i took this sat 2 (reading only) it was so different from the sat 1 or the writing or the us history. i was being tested on something i actually cared about, and that's why i think i did well. that's why i think people do well on any standardized test. they care about the subject matter. i got a 720, and although it's lower than what i thought i would get, i was happy nonetheless because of how harsh the curves are (720 is only 71st percentile). take the tests for subjects you genuinely care about, and if you are passionate about spanish i'm sure you'll do well on either one. as for me, i have to find a new passion for the math and verbal sections of the sat. i've got to make a jump from 580 verbal to 720 and from 610 math to 680. i sure was rather sappy with this post, but i think it's true. caring = good results.

By Thegumby (Thegumby) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 01:34 am: Edit

I just finished my junior year (AP Spanish Language) and took the Spanish SAT II... I got a 780, which is good and everything, but it was only 88th percentile.

By Bethlikesun (Bethlikesun) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 01:02 am: Edit

Thanks...and do any of you (those of you in class of 2006 mainly) know what SAT II you'll be taking instead of Writing? Lit. maybe...?

By Banana1216 (Banana1216) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 01:02 pm: Edit

You guys probably aren't getting the scores you want because you learn textbook Spanish. Think about it, do you really speak English the way you learn it in school? I certainly don't. On the SAT II, you're going to see words like "neoyorquino." I promise that's not in the majority of Spanish/English dictionaries. You pick these words up from reading magazines in Spanish, watching Spanish TV, listening to Spanish radio, etc. You need to know Spanglish to know Spanish. That word means "New Yorker." Say it out loud, it makes sense. You don't have to have an A+ every year of your life in Spanish, you just need to know beyond a grammar book. (By the way, I got a 760, non-native, just obsessed.)

By Smartaleck123 (Smartaleck123) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 01:08 pm: Edit

I know I posted this in another thread, but would any1 here like to recommend a specific book for SAT II Spanish prep (not the listening test, just the regular one): Barrons, Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc.

By Conker (Conker) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 02:21 pm: Edit

"By the way, I got a 760, non-native, just obsessed."

It sounds like you certainly are doing what it takes to get an 800. And you should be getting an 800. Now, don't get me wrong--a 760 is a very good score. But for someone like you to get a 760, that also means that the next non-native person who should be getting a 730 is getting a sub-700 score.

By Banana1216 (Banana1216) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 08:48 pm: Edit

Conker, should I take it again in November then?

By Smartaleck123 (Smartaleck123) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 02:59 pm: Edit

"would any1 here like to recommend a specific book for SAT II Spanish prep? (not the listening test, just the regular one): Barrons, Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc."

bump

By Varr (Varr) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 04:05 pm: Edit

I guess I can help
If you want to practice your spanish I got Msn my email is in my profile, I can help you out :)

Native speaker -from Mex

By Varr (Varr) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

I have seen and skimmed through the pages of those SATII Spanish prep books and personally Id buy Kaplan's although I like Barrons long explanations I think that gives nice explanations for those that arent native speakers :)!

Les deseo mucha suerte en su examen, escribanme si es que necesitan ayuda para paracticar, me gustaria mucho poder ayudarlos :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page