How high can I go?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: How high can I go?
By Wackicracka (Wackicracka) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 03:24 pm: Edit

Alright, My scores will seem miniscule to you, but that's ok, because I just need a quick answer. So anyway... May's SAT I scored a 980 (540V:450M) Then in June I scored a 940 (440V:500M). Trust me, I wasn't happy with my June scores and even my May scores. But I'll live. So, this is where your expertise comes in handy, lol. Could I bring this score up significantly for the Oct. SAT? If so, how much do you think I could bring it up if I did fair to moderate studying throughout the summer and beginning fall?

I have plenty of books to study from, and I plan on using those this summer (hopefully).

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 03:32 pm: Edit

I'd say breaking 1100-1200 would be a good goal.

By Wackicracka (Wackicracka) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 05:18 pm: Edit

Woops, my May SAT was a 990, not 980... Not a big difference, LOL...

By Wackicracka (Wackicracka) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

bumpity bump

By Acethesats (Acethesats) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

Well for math you need to do basic algebra and arithmitics and probably go over alot of the concepts. I suggest doing all 10 tests from 10 reals and go over everything that you don't already know. Since your score is not even over the 1000s right now you need to focus on getting all the easy questions right and not even attempt some of the harder ones. So basically quality over quantity.

Also what grade are you in? In case you probably have not had the chance to be familiar with the test material and that can be detrimental to your score.

By Jrboog05 (Jrboog05) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit

Doing some PR / Kaplan stuff will probably help because of the strategies they listed...

I don't know what books you bought, but really all of them have good strategies. If you simply learn all the strategies and practice it (this is a short term solution), then 1200s should be no prob...

Read through any decent vocab list that you should have at your convenience. Don't need to peruse the exact defination, but just make sure you know the relationships. That in itself is like an automatic 600 verbal...

Oh yeah, grade level definately has a large impact on your score... Not only are you more focused by your Junior year, you've read more material, and you've polished your math skills, which would inherently improve your performance.

Hope this helps... Good luck.

By Number9 (Number9) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Grubers
Barrons
10 Reals

Buy those.
Do math from Grubers
Do vocab from Barrons
Look at each's strategies
Take 10 Reals tests, learn what you are missing.

By Wackicracka (Wackicracka) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

Awe man, thanks guys! This really helps a lot! Hopefully a good score will come my way! Thanks again:)

By Alliswim (Alliswim) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 02:26 am: Edit

If you a willing to spend the money I highly reccomend taking the Princeton review class. I went from an 1110 to a 1330. They break the whole test down for you and they definitely know what they are talking about

By Benzinspeicher (Benzinspeicher) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 09:45 pm: Edit

For math, being honest, you should try to find some problems that you personally would find difficult. Then, try solving the problems, using your brain. After a while, you'll start to see things in ways that you didn't see before. Play chess, and solve puzzles. Trust me, and you'll be using the brain better, and you could break 600 in math. Learn some tactics too, while you're at it. For verbal (I might be wrong, for I'm not an English person), just take up reading as a hobby (intellectual reading, such as Times magazine). Analyze what you read. Think about what happened. Also, get Barron's and learn the marked words. Draw up the definitions on flashcards, so they'll stay in your head. You might be able to break like 650 in verbal. If you do all this, you just might score in the 1250-1300 area. Best of luck!

By Wackicracka (Wackicracka) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Thanks a lot! LOL... I'm kinda feelin' motivated. I WANNA READ! Thanks again guys. :)

By Bettina (Bettina) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 03:28 am: Edit

You would likely benefit from a course. But if you are motivated, you can probably learn just as much from the books and strategies listed here.

Did you do anything between the tests to improve your score? Knowing basic strategies is key. Of course knowing the material is best, but will be hard to do just over the summer.

By Wackicracka (Wackicracka) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 08:07 am: Edit

I did a little bit of studying for the first one, and the second one I didn't study for it, since the next testing date was so close, I didn't think I would get the benefit from studying. Now that it's summer, I plan on working on it, since now I have about 4 months. Which isn't too bad.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page