Was 1510 just lucky on my timed practice test?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: Was 1510 just lucky on my timed practice test?
By Happeepanda (Happeepanda) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

The first time I took the actual SAT, I had not studied at all and got a 1280(660M,620V) in October 2003. Then, I studied test format and instructions and a little vocab and got a 1300(660M,640V) the second time in March.

Just about a week ago, I took a practice test from 10 real SAT's (full length test) and I got a 1390(700M,690V). I had not studied at all, but it was different from the real SAT because I did not time myself (I took as long as I needed) and I did most of it at 1 o'clock in the morning.

Just yesterday, I took the next practice test in the book and timed myself and made the conditions as closes as possible to real testing conditions. No interruptions, no water, nothing in my working area. I got a 1510(760M,750V). The only thing I did to study from the practice test the week before was do maybe 10 of the sentence completion questions in the beginning part of the book.

Is it likely that I will be able to get this score on the real SAT when I take in October 2004??? Or was 1510 just lucky??

By Acethesats (Acethesats) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:10 pm: Edit

I'd say give or take 50 points is probably what your real score would be if all conditions are met. Taken the test at your own home is still less stressful then at the test center because you are familiar with your own home.

My 2 cents

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:20 pm: Edit

It depends, ace. Some people tend to do better under stress, I know I do, well, at least for tests.Others do not. But yes, expect it to increase/decrease based on you and how close you followed the timing.
And don't take the test with timing other than given on the tests. In fact, you should try to gradually decrease the amount of time you need during practice tests to give yourself more time, unless you feel that this would hurt your score.

By Emmittsmith (Emmittsmith) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit

I consistently got 1350s-1400s on practice tests when I took it section by section with breaks in between.

One morning, I woke up at 9, ate breakfast, took the test with no breaks (except for a 10 minute bathroom break after the first two sections and a 5 minute stretch break before the last two). I got a 1470.

I got a 1360 on the real thing.

Like I've heard from other people before, I think it depends a lot on the mood that particular morning.

By Redbarn (Redbarn) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

One of the tests in the 10 Reals is much easier than the rest. This is off the top of my head, but I think it's January 2001? Look into that, because most everyone gets great scores on that practice test.

Also, taking the real thing is completely different from taking a practice test. Even if you're timing yourself, the mindset is different because you're more relaxed, etc. I was consistently getting 1450-1500 on practice tests and scored a 1420 on the real thing. In my experience, I've seen most people do better on Verbal on the real test than they do in practice and worse on Math than they do in practice. I think it has something to do with concentration on Verbal and careless mistakes on Math.

In short, be wary of your 1510; it could be misleading.

By Toomuch2say87 (Toomuch2say87) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 03:16 am: Edit

i actually was the same as you. i studied for november and january, got 1290 (670 v/620 m) in Nov and 1300 (660/640) Jan. I didn't study at all for June, really...read a bunch and looked over some vocab, but no where near as much as I studied for the other tests. took some practice tests, highest score was 1500, and that was untimed. my highest timed was 1470...
june score: 780 m/780 v...totally possible. i had a good test, and it was nice outside...i think that helped, actually. also there was only 2 other people in the room.

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 10:18 am: Edit

my practice tests fluctuated from 1440 to 1560...back and forth and in between....and then i got a 1580 on the real one...i honestly think that a fairly large component of the SATs is luck....i think luck can swing your verbal score 50 points - if you know most of the words on the test, you are set, if not, then you will have a tougher time....the words that are on the test can be lucky for you or not....so overall, expect a 50 point swing in your verbal score

By Geoguy (Geoguy) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 12:22 am: Edit

My 10 Real SAT scores:

Average: 1280
Actual score: 1300 (June SAT)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page