SATs - which are the best books to use?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: SATs - which are the best books to use?
By Yz16 (Yz16) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:31 pm: Edit

hey! let's try a topic about books - seems like many people on this board (myself included) aren't sure which book to prep with for SATs/SATIIs. Post test, any comments on any books, and score (optional but helpful).

By Etsrep78328 (Etsrep78328) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:33 pm: Edit

I would definitely recommend buying 10 Real SATs and also getting a copy of Real SAT II Subject Tests. In addition, you may want to look into Barron's or Princeton Review for the individual subject tests or if you need specific help in math or verbal.

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:38 pm: Edit

heck, i'll start:

SAT 1 : princeton review (i think it's called crack the SAT?) - good tricks if you know the material already. pretty fast to go through.
Grubers - Hmm...kind of a waste of money, I think; it goes through a lot of detail. Unless you're really struggling with math and you have a lot to gain from a review of pre-high school math, I really wouldn't recommend it. The vocabulary list is ridiculous - too many of them are obscure or esoteric terminology. Time is better spent on practice tests.
10 Real SATs: you *have* to practice!! This book helped me the most to get my score.

SAT II writing: personally didn't use the books much, but Kaplan was excellent for MC. Most people say Barron's is very good for the essay, but crappy for the MCs - however, I didn't really think Barron's essay section was particularly helpful, but its MC section helped me a lot.

(personally, i'm interested in the best/ worst books for chem, physics, and math iic).

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:38 pm: Edit

wow, etsrep - you beat me to it. Thanks for the input. Keep it coming!

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 07:04 am: Edit

heey, bummppp, i thought, people wanted to knoooww : )

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 07:04 am: Edit

heey, bummppp, i thought, people wanted to knoooww : )

By Xgamerx13 (Xgamerx13) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 02:55 pm: Edit

There are so many threads about this topic, there should be one consolidated one. I made another thread before about this topic.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page