SAT I pointless when new SAT I comes out???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: SAT I pointless when new SAT I comes out???
By Michael_Pham (Michael_Pham) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Lets say a person gets an 800 on the math or verbal or some really high score on the SAT I before the new SAT I comes out and they are only a freshmen, sophmore, junior. One of the classes that currently will have to take the new one.

They take the new one and do worse on math and verbal.
Will colleges still consider the old SAT for your best composite score?
Or will those scores be pointless?

(ie. Current SAT- M: 800 V: 750, New SAT- M: 700 V:690 W:740)
Would the college take your old SAT score and combine it with your writing or what?

By Monoe (Monoe) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:35 pm: Edit

No - seeing as the test is changing, the two scores are anything but interchangeable. They exist as separately as SAT and ACT.

By Michael_Pham (Michael_Pham) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 04:17 pm: Edit

Darn that means I'm gonna do worse than I already am doing lol

I usually think I do super good on the math part, but then I get a lower score than predicted and adding Alg2 (one of my strengths) will make me think I will do even better and then end up doing worse.

And verbal and writing are just blah for me

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 04:51 pm: Edit

No - seeing as the test is changing, the two scores are anything but interchangeable. They exist as separately as SAT and ACT.

Sorry ... that is absolutely incorrect.

All past scores are grandfathered. The overwhelming majority of the schools will accept the best scores from PREVIOUS tests. There will be lots of schools that require a Writing test but that does not mean that the SAT-II writing is not acceptable. Then, there are schools that require the best scores from ONE sitting and those arethe schools that will require the new test exclusively.

Please state when you are posting verifiable facts or wild and baseless speculation.

By Titanz05 (Titanz05) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

I think its unfair for sophmore's to have to take a brand new test. We'll be lacking prep. I just want to take the old SAT in october and just take a writing SAT II later. I dont know how to feel about this situation except cheated.

By Michael_Pham (Michael_Pham) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Yeah I don't think we have enough time to prep for it either.
My school is making everyone take the PSAT this fall, which is suppose to correlate with the new SAT coming out, but that only gives me a feel for it, I would rather have some prep books already out so I can study over the summer when I have free time.

Have colleges already listed their policies on the new SAT? If so, where can I find them.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Titan~

The situation might turn out to be an ... advantage. You can take the Old test until January 2005. Please consider that the new SAT will still be designed to yield a 500 average on each section while introducing material that is closer to your HS curriculum. The test will NOT be more difficult just different. The new SAT will have a minimal impact for the vast majority of testers. Most students planning to apply to selective schools had to incorporate a SAT-II Writing or Math, so this may in fact represent a bonus.

One last thing: everyone will face a similar situation since very few of the new tests will be released before March 2005.

By Vtran31 (Vtran31) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

go to www.amazon.com for some books. kaplan has prep for PSAt and SAT. dunno bout everyone else. college board is gonna come out with a book that has 8 practice SAT's. the practice u need I think is ample if u use hte resources given. learn perfectionism for math. I took a practice SAT a 2nd time and cause I was not focused entirely I got down 60 points ( though my verbal went up 80). learn to read well and comprehend. that is a bulk of the verbal now. no more analogies. I liek tha tcause that is where moast of my verbal mistakes are now (that and sentence completion). essay- gah.

anyone know if grammar wil lb eonthe new SAT?

never thought of the SAT like that ziggi. I guess that woudl make sense. they try to make the "average" tester make an average score, no matter waht form the test is

By Michael_Pham (Michael_Pham) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Yeah grammar will be on the new SAT in the writing section, it's suppose to be similar to the PSAT's current writing section.

By Mesotired9 (Mesotired9) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 08:10 pm: Edit

Just curious, does anyone have a list available that tells you which colleges will accept scores for both the old and new tests and which colleges will require the new one?

By Xgamerx13 (Xgamerx13) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

I know for sure that the UCs will not accept the old SAT if you are in graduating class of 2006 or later.

By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

I don't think that colleges would allow you to interchange the old SAT with the new SAT (as far as taking the highest scores go) since the Math and Verbal sections for both are different.

By Monoe (Monoe) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 02:08 pm: Edit

I'm sorry, Xiggi, that's not right. While schools may accept old scores, they won't mix and match between old and new. That was what I was trying to say. The test is going to be restructured, so you can't very well interchange grades. Accept both, yes; interchange, no.

By Albertfermat (Albertfermat) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 04:29 pm: Edit

actually, i called harvard (and prolly all other ivies will folow harvard), and they said they WILL mix and match for the CLASS OF '06 ONLY.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 09:29 pm: Edit

I'm sorry, Xiggi, that's not right. While schools may accept old scores, they won't mix and match between old and new.

OK, if you say so! In the meantime, one could always read the directions posted on the Admission's website at Yale

Here is an excerpt:

Note: For applicants graduating from high school in 2006, we will accept scores from either the old or the new SAT (or both).

By Dkm (Dkm) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

y u guys all worried...everbody is on the same boat

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page