SAT II French Scores!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: SAT II French Scores!
By Calidan (Calidan) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 01:19 pm: Edit

Did anyone else get an unusually high score? I think that the curve must have been extra-lenient. I got an 800! Anyone else?

By Tula (Tula) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:21 pm: Edit

I got a 760, wasn't expecting it, and don't really care about the curve. Congrats on the 800, if you're not a franco.

By Calidan (Calidan) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:26 pm: Edit

Nope, i'm not a native speaker. Congrats to you too!

By Tula (Tula) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:31 pm: Edit

Hey, maybe it was just our lucky day ! Vive le francais! How much prepping did you do, btw?

By Calidan (Calidan) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:35 pm: Edit

Umm, well I acutally did next to none. I got a book the night before and went over some vocab and uses of the subjunctive (only for like 2-3 hours max). I was expecting 760-780, so I really do think I was lucky that day!
PS- what year of French are you in? I'm in 4.

By Tula (Tula) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:49 pm: Edit

Cool, same here -year 4- but our French department is really weak, and i still don't know my subjunctive really well (grins). But French was quite a pleasant shock, if you know what I mean. The rest of my SAT IIs were pretty disappointing. Do you study any other languages?

By Calidan (Calidan) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Yeah- I take Spanish as well. How about you?
Our French department is probably one of the better departments in the school, so that's probably why I did so well. My other SAT IIs were pretty disappointing, too! How did you do on them?
I got:
670 Math IC
670 Writing

By Tula (Tula) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 05:13 am: Edit

I'm an international and French is my passion right now, but I can speak a native language, and I'd love to do Italian/Spanish in college. My Math was an absolute disaster - we won't go there! (The IC is brutal - well, at least compared to the French curve!) My writing score was 690. I may have to re-write... Are you applying for Fall 2005?

By Rachie3953 (Rachie3953) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 12:52 pm: Edit

Hey, great job on your scores! I, unfourtunately was not as lucky. Do you have any tips for improvement? I really want to make sure I do better by self-studying because I'm not sure if I will have a French class next year (We're trying to start an AP French Lit class, but the person who would teach is the principal of our school and her daughter has cancer). Thanks in advance for your help!!!

By Tula (Tula) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 08:45 am: Edit

Rachie - If you want to improve through self-study, I would suggest you get a study prep book and work through it thoroughly (learning vocab, reviewing grammar sections, taking practise TIMED tests etc). I would recommend Barrons. It seems the best, but you could try the other books like Kaplan and Princeton Review. Its not the book that matters so much as the amount of work you put in. Read French (magazines, novels, newspapers, dictionaries, prep books, whatever), listen to French (like rent videos, CDs etc.), speak French (with your friends, or with any francophone person you meet: talk - and don't be shy about it!), dream French....that always helps too! :) Good luck.

By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Would you guys say the test is easier with or without listening?

By Tula (Tula) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 02:15 pm: Edit

Depends a lot on your level of French. If you're really fluent, and are used to a lot of *listening*, I'd go for the listening in Nov. But if you're average/more 'text-book taught' then listening would be a challenge. ALSO: The listening, from what i've heard, is packed with native Francophone speakers who prefer to take that test. Aergo, expect a brutal curve.

By Calidan (Calidan) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

Yeah, Tula, I am applying to colleges in Fall 2005. Are you too? Where are you thinking of applying? I'm thinking of (and keep in mind I have really high hopes :) )- Columbia, UPenn, Georgetown, Northwestern, UCLA, UC Berkeley, UCSB, UCSD, UC Davis, USC, Boston U, Boston College, UVa, UNC Chapel Hill, and NYU.

By Tula (Tula) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 03:01 pm: Edit

Chouette Calidan! I'm applying this year for next year admission. You're from Cali? :) I thought of Columbia and UPenn, too. Right now I'm thinking of Brown, Duke, Bryn M, etc. I don't think your hopes are too high though - heck, you have a perfect SAT II! Why not? Bon chance.

By Calidan (Calidan) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

Thanks, Tula! Bon chance a` toi, aussi! Good luck with your applications!
PS- Feel free to email me sometime! (snipidd@aol.com)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page