ARGH THE DAMN SAT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: ARGH THE DAMN SAT
By Buttcrack (Buttcrack) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 12:57 am: Edit

verbal--650
math--750

=1400

Does anyone have a pistol on hand? God damn. I study so hard and am top in class but this stupid test. Here is my history breakdown of the SAT:

PSAT (sophomore): 1010
PSAT (junior): 1200
SAT (junior, first time): 1270
SAT (junior, THIS time): 1400

Well, at least I'm slowly improving. I want to hit a 1500 some day.....

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 01:02 am: Edit

dude, 130 pt increase, you should be congratulating yourself!

By Jrboog05 (Jrboog05) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 12:36 pm: Edit

I agree 130 point increase over less than a year is excellent, although i am trying to accomplish the same... What exactly are your study techniques and for how long?

Every time i take the test, i take baby steps in one direction but can never get over that 1300 hump, and i need a good boost as net time will probaly be my last time. Here are my scores:

December: 1270 (660 M)
May: 1310 (680 M)
June: 1310 (700 Math)

It seems like it's always one baby step foward in one part, and another step back. I know an 800 in Math isn't far off for me, but mental mistakes kill me, and i am confident i am close to at least 700+ in verbal.

However, after time after time of failing, i am led to believe that my study techniques are ineffective, or that i have peaked. At this point in my career, a drastic improvement in my score would be vital after comparing my meager HS stats with the selectivity of my schools.

Hope this makes sense..

By Buttcrack (Buttcrack) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 01:46 pm: Edit

I definitely know what you mean! What you have to do is get gruber's or barron's. Either one is fine. Read the strategies in one of those books like your life depended upon it. While you're doing the strategies, erase all your work. So when you're done, go back to them and make sure you totally remember them. Go over the strategies at least twice is what im saying.

Don't waste your time going through countless study guides learning every damn strategy they teach. And for CR passages, read the whole passage. Don't use kaplan's or wuteva's idea of reading the first few sentences of each paragraph.

After that, take as many practice tests you can get your hands on. Finish all those practice tests, if you can get them, in barron's, gruber's, Princeton Review, 10 REAL SATs, etc. I got those books from my friends. I just borrowed them and wrote my work on a separate sheet of paper.

And be sure you know WHY you got those problems wrong. Once you start noticing mistakes, you get this inate ability of being able to avoid them after a while, at least not as many.

Above all, getting your SAT score up requires a lot of studying, at least for me.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Raising your scores is one thing ... getting off a plateau is another. Why do you think that happens?

It is a good idea to review your practice tests and review your mistakes. However, it is EQUALLY important to review your correct answers and make sure you KNEW the answer as opposed to be a lucky guess. The focus should be to build positive blocks of knowledge ... that is why itis important to spend more time reviewing the practice tests. On the issue of practice tests, you cannot use the "fake" tests produced by Gruber's, Barron's, et al. Some of them come close but most of the questions are not relevant. It is a MISTAKE to believe that taking tests that are harder is a good idea. There are enough real sat tests and there is no need to use the inferior wannabes.

For the CR, there is NOT an universal method that is better for everyone. People need to try all the methods and pick the one that works better for THEM. It depends on the individual capacity for concentration.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page