SAT II Writing Study

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: June 2004 Archive: SAT II Writing Study
By Stonedpanda (Stonedpanda) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit

This is the only one I need to take. What books should I get? What are some of the examples you guys used for your essays?

By Journkid (Journkid) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

I actually wrote my essay flat off the top of my head. I focused mainly on grammar and usage; the multiple choice stuff.

Kaplan, REA or Princeton Review are all good.

Thing for the essay, just write it like you've been told to write essays forever. Five paragraphs. Introduction, three body paragraphs using examples to back up your thesis, and a conclusion.

I got an 800.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

I'd disagree and say four paragraphs. A five paragraph essay is more suited for the 40 minute time slots of the AP Lang. test, in my opinion. In twenty minutes, you could do much more with two examples. Plus, it's less to think of.

Knowing any field of history (American, European, etc.) is a huge advantage for thinking of examples. There's always something that could apply. I, for instance, used the Irish immigrants in America during the late 1800s as one of my examples.

Thinking back to the required reading you've done in English classes will cover bases for literary examples, probably. They make you read them for a reason, I think, and there are a lot of things you can take from them. I used Rosencrantz and Guildenstern from the play "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" by Tom Stoppard (and Hamlet, obviously, but R+G=dead made more sense for the essay).

I bought only the Sparknotes 5 Test practice book.

By Journkid (Journkid) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:15 pm: Edit

Yeah, okay. Do five if you have the time (which I did, I write fast) and four if you're strapped. It depends on how fast you can write and still write well.

And yeah, that's a good point. Read books, watch the news, see movies etc. to cultivate examples for the essay (which you'll need to support your thesis).

By Taylor6465 (Taylor6465) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:39 pm: Edit

I guess that is where I screwed up...I just wrote off the top of my head and made sure it flowed and that my usage was proper. I only got 650.

By Briansee (Briansee) on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 11:44 pm: Edit

I used the Kaplan writing book, and it helped in the multiple choice section immensely. I'm not sure how well I did on the essay, but I wrote on one personal experience with I think 4 paragraphs. I found out today I got 800.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page